Oil Leak:(

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Oil Leak:(

Threw a pipe and all that jazz on my bike.Never got a chance to ride it much till this week.The power is unbelievable,but I'm leaving a tiny little drip puddle after I shut her down,everywhere I go.It's not a huge problem yet,but I seriously don't want to split that engine,and replace that piece of crap seal.All the case bolt heads are tight.ANY IDEAS besides liquid parts in a can?

Old 10-03-2011, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Where is the leak? Is it engine oil or chain drippings?

Old 10-03-2011, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Need more info...Did you hit something,did you tighten your drain plug after a oil change...bike looks in good shape ?

Old 10-04-2011, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

O.K. I just got done dropping that factory skid plate.It's leaking just a tad right smack in the center of the motor. Obviously that main seal is getting bad.I'm not gonna pull that motor out this year-maybe,maybe this winter.Well...all I can think of is some stop leak at this point.I really dont want that crap in my engine,or anything it's mixed with.One other thing though,Am I building up pressure in my crankcase some how?I could see how she would get hot and leak a little-this thing loves rrrrrr's now.Maybe one or both of my case halfs tweeked a little bit with this new found dose of power.Like I say,either way I need a new seal.But I am interested in what you guys have to say about this!

Old 10-04-2011, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Any chance your bike is still under warranty? (some people are still buying new old stock)

If it's out of warranty and it's just weeping oil I would just make sure that the crankcase vent is clear and the oil level is kept within spec. Then at the next oil change I'd have the tank almost out of fuel. After dropping the old oil lay the bike down and clean the leak area real good. Wait overnight and clean it real good again. Later that day clean it again and apply a sealant. Let that fully cure (overnight) before setting the bike upright and finishing the oil change. I would not add any sort of leak stopper to the oil.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Would you pour this stuff in your engine? Just say "no.."

Attached Thumbnails Oil Leak:(-thumbnail.jpg  
Old 10-04-2011, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

.....New Found Power.... alls you did was pipe n jet,,I don't think this caused this...I would let Kawasaki know about your leak.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member

That will not be a fun gasket to replace... Trust me.

I would try to get kawi to replace that.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Seriously, I'm liking that sealing deal.As far as Kawasaki goes-bring it in,we'll check it out,and bla bla bla.It would take an act of congress to get those douches to even remotely care about 1 bike.I'll just grin and bare it for now! THANX GUYS,I appreciate it.The liquid nails thing was hilarious!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Would an external smear/dollop of JBWeld work?

It did a good job on my KLR engine leak at the rear of the center case crease, which sounds similar to this. It's not a proper repair, to be sure, but, it works good enough that oil doesn't actually drip onto the garage floor.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak:(