oil circulation problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default oil circulation problem

Been hearing some noise from the head or it is in my head. Only 3,400 miles on my 07 but run it hard. Use K&N and Castrol full synthetic 1.5 liters. Changed oil today, new filter, 1.5 liters of oil. Cranked it up and watched the oil moved down the window to proper oil level mark. Rode the bike in the back of the house for only 15 minutes to get it warmed up. Still hearing noises from the head or in my head? Left the bike running looked in the oil window and full to top level running. Shut it off and let set for 30 minutes and went back and checked oil level again. Sitting up right on stand the oil is all in the chankcase showing completely over the oil fill level marks through the window. Started the engine to see if the oil would drop to proper level, could not get to drop at all unless it I was revving high rpms and would only drop slightly below the top of the glass window.

Do I have an oil pump problem, bike runs great, still lots of power, top speed has not fallen off nothing but this oil level. I don't think any oil is getting up into the head or circulating as it should through the engine. I see no threads about oil pump issues.

Anyone have any ideas? Afraid if I continue to ride I am damaging the engine even more?

Old 07-16-2009, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Sure you put in 1.5 litres not 1.5 quarts?

Old 07-16-2009, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Did you replace the oil filter cover correctly so that the oil feed channels line up correctly?

Old 07-16-2009, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

That's what I'd look at first. Make sure you put the cover on correctly.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

1.5 Liters not quarts and yes the cover is on correctly. I have no circuation problem, the problem is that 1.5 L of oil is to much for the bike. I was overfilling the chankcase and have been ever since I purchased it two years ago. I have 3,400 miles of WFO riding on it.

See thread above about changing oil lately. I saw in a thread that someone said if you overfill the oil it picks up air pockets and the pump does not pull the oil properly when it has air embedded in the oil. I could see the air after riding yesterday after adding 1.5 L and new filter. I drained .5 L today and now it is perfect according to the owners manual and the window as to where the oil level is supposed to be, shut down and running.

Thanks for your comments. The bike was just taken on a 90 mph run and screams as always. WFO

Old 07-16-2009, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wynn711
..........................See thread above about changing oil lately. I saw in a thread............................
??? what thread above? My old eyes can't find it.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Have you changed your oil and filter lately, it may fall below this now but was right beside this.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:12 AM
1st Gear Member

do you have a bash plate.... timing chain are often the cause of head sounds in the klx

Old 07-16-2009, 11:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes I have a Utah Skid Plate but saw where it was making noises on eveyone else's bikes but I solved that problem when I got the skidplate. Went to the hardware store and replaced those cheap allen wrench head bolts with real bolts and locknuts so it is so tight on the bike there is no way it is making any kind of noise.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member

no no no, the skid plate reflects the sound from the engine, causing some rattles to become noticeable from the engine

Quick Reply: oil circulation problem