Oh man I hope someone steals it

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Default RE: Oh man I hope someone steals it

I made another thread about it stalling unless the choke was on. Someone pointed out that I should adjust the idle and that fixed it.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

ORIGINAL: deej

Just to clarify, dealer setup/prep is not completely without merit. While it sucks to have to pay for something we feel the dealer adds on to make money, I feel that what they do to the bike before you pick it up is worth the peace of mind.

I agree and nobody said that they Do Nothing for there setup fees' but it shouldn't cost a couple of hundred to do it. that's overkill. Also so much depends on the Mech working setting up your bike. You were there watching so I'm sure they were extra careful. In my case when I picked the bike up I noticed a few small things not right or not hooked up right and had them fix it there on the spot. I was told the setup mech who did my bike was having a bad day the day before. I didn't say anything But I was like I don't give a rats ***, If its not right I wont take it. In fact I noticed a Small stain on the seat and made them document they would replace the seat Before I took the bike. they did too. Dealers are like any other business, you pays your money and take your chances. I was happy with my experience thru Barneys and would buy from them again no problem.

LV

Ok I'm quoting myself and you. So correct me if I'm wrong, but a dealer should sell the bike for the MSRP and assemble all of the stuff for free? I'm confused, but then again I've been known for that. It takes a mechanic at least 2 if not 3 hours to uncrate, assemble and get all of the fluids in order, and at $60.00 an hour, a couple hundred is about right. And I suppose complaining about it is not going to keep them from selling as many bikes as they would if everyone went away with a big ol happy face. It's in our nature to complain and to automatically think someone is taking advantage of us, but its not always the case.

P.S. I did spell check and corrected your post, I hope that's OK. Its my OCD rearing its ugly head again, but I couldn't help it.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Ok I'm quoting myself and you. So correct me if I'm wrong, but a dealer should sell the bike for the MSRP and assemble all of the stuff for free? I'm confused, but then again I've been known for that. It takes a mechanic at least 2 if not 3 hours to uncrate, assemble and get all of the fluids in order, and at $60.00 an hour, a couple hundred is about right. And I suppose complaining about it is not going to keep them from selling as many bikes as they would if everyone went away with a big ol happy face. It's in our nature to complain and to automatically think someone is taking advantage of us, but its not always the case.

P.S. I did spell check and corrected your post, I hope that's OK. Its my OCD rearing its ugly head again, but I couldn't help it.

Ok deej

I just pulled out my paperwork and took a look. While I got the bike for 4169.00 they hit me for 577.00 in Dealer Setup Fees. I would call that just a Little Excessive bro. Yes I got a nice deal on the bike But they More then made up for it on the back end didnt they. the dealer will stick it to you one way or another everytime.

I actually had a little Kawi dealer out in pasco county offer to sell me the bike for 4100.00, Not sure of what they would have charged for setup fee's though. I went with barneys for 2 reasons. One, their bike was still in the crate while the one in pasco was on display and looked like it had paint on the license plate holder. And Two, Because Barney's has like 2-3 large dealers in the Tampa area and I figured that if I had any issues with the bike (IE - Warranty issues) I would get less hassle from them then a little dealer out in the sticks.

LV

Old 08-31-2006, 05:27 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yea I looked at my invoice too and they charged 200 for freight, and 175 for a "handling Fee" So there are some charges that I don't understand, but then again I would have paid $10,000 foir this bike and would have been happy So its all in how you look at it. I'm sensing deja vu in this thread.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:44 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I did a little bit of research on buying tips before I bought my KLX since it was the first bike I purchased new and the consensus from what I read was that "assembly and setup" was basically invented by dealers to pad their profit margin. MSRP already includes significant profit for dealers and is intended by the manufacturers to cover the shop's cost in setup as well as respectable profit on top of that. When they showed me the invoice with assembly and set up on it for $375, on top of MSRP, I said I wasn't paying that. I was prepared to walk away, and almost had to, but they took the charge off before it came to that. In some areas, they might not - in those I suspect there is little to no room for negotiation due to supply and demand - the bikes bring that price, regardless, so there's just no incentive for some dealers to deal.