OEM Dunlops or ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 05:25 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: OEM Dunlops or ??

I replaced my original rear 603s at about 4400 miles. For the street, it had plenty of tread left but it was getting a little hairy off road so I replaced it with the Trakmasters. If the bike was only used on pavement, I am pretty confident that I could have gotten 6000 miles out of them. The front 603s now at 4800 miles look about only half worn.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member

So did you use the 120/90-18 on the rear and the 90/90-21 on the front? Looks like the closest they offer? Looks like the D606's are owned by enough people that are happy with them so thats good
Thanks,
db

Old 06-29-2007, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I replaced the stock tires at 500 miles. They still had a lot of life on them, but the front felt like it wanted to wash out on some terain and the rear seem like it was lacking traction in loose stuff. I went with the trackmasters 110 in the rear. I have a few street miles on them and no offroad miles yet so I can't comment on them, but they should be better than the stock ones. If I did more road miles I would have went for more of a 50/50 tire.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not to sure the 606 is gonna cut it in my conditions (deep mud, wet grass, steep hills, dry loose dirt, rocks) So since I only ride about 5 miles a day on my bike when I go riding, Is there a tire that is pretty much strictly off-road and is just dot approved? I don't care about road handling, I will go 10 mph if necessary while on-road. I'm just tired of getting stuck on all terrain, either the back slips or the front washes out. I rode on loose moist, not wet, dirt and the tires turned into slicks causing me to go sideways down a hill. So I guess you could say like a 99% off and a 1% on road tire. (not actual percentiles, but you get the meaning)

Thanks,
Will

Old 06-29-2007, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Why not just run full knobbies then? You would have to really **** someone off for them to get down on their hands & knees to inspect your tires. And even if they do its not like they will take you to jail or anything

Old 06-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Will Shoe

I'm not to sure the 606 is gonna cut it in my conditions (deep mud, wet grass, steep hills, dry loose dirt, rocks) So since I only ride about 5 miles a day on my bike when I go riding, Is there a tire that is pretty much strictly off-road and is just dot approved? I don't care about road handling, I will go 10 mph if necessary while on-road. I'm just tired of getting stuck on all terrain, either the back slips or the front washes out. I rode on loose moist, not wet, dirt and the tires turned into slicks causing me to go sideways down a hill. So I guess you could say like a 99% off and a 1% on road tire. (not actual percentiles, but you get the meaning)

Thanks,
Will
I have a feeling even these would not be enough for you Will.

Besides your tires are gonna waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay outlast your bike......................BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any takers on whether the bike lasts long enough for him to take the license on? Yea I guess I would have to give big odds on that one huh?

Just messing with ya Will.[8D]

Old 06-29-2007, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

How are the odds sitting now Deej? With only a 5 mile ride a day as a factor,I want in on this action. Oh to be young and have no fear of crashes again.LOL

Old 06-30-2007, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll take one on the tires. $100 bets allowed? At least my bike gets to do excessive speeds unlike yours, ya old foggie[8D]. IF it wasnt capable of going to 10k rpm's, it would be electronicaly limited for the sake of us young bloods. The worst that could happen would be new top end. Well, thats not the worst. Anyways, i just know that for mud and loose dirt these tires don't go.

Thanks,
Will

Old 07-02-2007, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Just ordered a rear D606 120/90-18, the Kaw dealer wants $18 to mount or should I bust a knuckle and do it myself?

Old 07-02-2007, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member

$18 is pretty cheap. Depends on how valuable your time is?

Quick Reply: OEM Dunlops or ??