Not impressed with KLX... Should I mod it or sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

The DRZ might be the closest approximation. Similar weight, more power, similar cost (used). Its just a bit better for the road and with mods would likely be OK for your needs.

I guess I would want to try a big bore KLX and use a gear swap for your desired duty. Reliability, with proper installation, should be similar to stock.
The nice thing about the KLX is that you can get a nice bike for cheap and the mods are not super pricey.

If you want a really capable road rig then a KLR650 or BMWG650GS Sertao both of which are about 100 pounds heavier and more money.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

?????

Old 03-31-2012, 02:50 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

People mention the Suzuki 400 a lot. I think stock-for-stock the Suzuki is superiour for the pavement. Off road, however, I think the bike is quite ponderous in handling the really rough stuff. I also contend that stock-for-stock, a 400 Suzuki is probably around 40 pounds heavier despite all the advertised BS from both companies. You'll feel that in any rough off road situation.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
People mention the Suzuki 400 a lot. I think stock-for-stock the Suzuki is superiour for the pavement. Off road, however, I think the bike is quite ponderous in handling the really rough stuff. I also contend that stock-for-stock, a 400 Suzuki is probably around 40 pounds heavier despite all the advertised BS from both companies. You'll feel that in any rough off road situation.
looked at a new one yesterday...looked a lil cumbersome for tight trails...5 speed,not 6? I will pass....if a klx is too underpowered..get a wr250r,BUT adding a power commander and exhaust to it will cost more than a big bore kit for a klx,and probably have less results.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Oh, I did not mention in my post above that I am also looking for a klx250, the 06 would do nicely!

Old 03-31-2012, 04:04 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subasaki
looked at a new one yesterday...looked a lil cumbersome for tight trails...5 speed,not 6? I will pass....if a klx is too underpowered..get a wr250r,BUT adding a power commander and exhaust to it will cost more than a big bore kit for a klx,and probably have less results.
Yep, as much as I hate to admit it, the WR250R is pretty impressive with a computer programmer, exhaust mod, and airbox mod. Two of my friends have done some kind of "flapper" mod at the airbox, swapped the stock muffler, and installed a Power Commander on their Yamahas, and these bikes will run an honest 90 mph on a GPS with some ease with stock gearing. That engine basically uses a cylinder off of one of the earlier Yamaha R1's, and it's a very decent screamer.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

15/39 gearing should be adequate for all-day highway commutes and keep you far below redline....you'll definitely need a jet kit, exhaust and filter....you won't be doing any power wheelies, but you'll be able to cruise 75+ mph all day long....downshift to 5th and still maintain the speed without redlining...

Old 03-31-2012, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

My riding buddy had they orange bike. It's super far and torquey. Will do wheelie easy but maintenance is nowhere near my beloved klx. On trails, of course he has more experience but in time I can catch up with him even on my stock ride lol. Btw I'm 138 pounds so my ride is just right. No performance mods except 13t for now. I can cruise easy 70 . Tried it yesterday lol.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
Oh, I did not mention in my post above that I am also looking for a klx250, the 06 would do nicely!
Get with it and bring one home. All the fun kids have one!

Old 03-31-2012, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I weigh 190. You guys may be able to maintain highway speed in flat areas here but its not happening here without being wot if at all. I've always been a kawasaki guy and wanted a dual sport but didnt want a heavy 650 for sure. The KLX was all that was left. I bought the klx without riding it, there wasnt anything around localy for sale. I had a friend pick it up in another province. I thought i could always do a BB if it wasnt powerful enough. I still havent ruled this out.

I was also looking at the DRZ online last night as an alternative. Seems like its probably my best option. I hate the color and convetional forks. Im sure they work fine but it just seems so backwards.

What about the WR250? Seems that these are the best 250's out there. Will this be enough? Are these going to be relialbe or is it more of a race engine?

Theres a klx 450 for sale locally. But doesnt this use the same race engine as the motorcrosser? Not interested if thats the case. But looks good otherwise.

A buddy of mine is converting a KTM 300 for road right now, alot of people do it. We switched a couple times and the seat was surprizingly not all that bad when actually riding, I almost prefered his. Suspension was terrible (for what I want) on the KTM. Engine was nice though, certainly have far more potential with the right gearing then the KLX.

Quick Reply: Not impressed with KLX... Should I mod it or sell it?