Not impressed with KLX... Should I mod it or sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Not impressed with KLX... Should I mod it or sell it?

After a couple months of searching I picked up a 2006 KLX 250. Had a couple of short rides on it and im very dissapointed with the lack of power. I need a bike similer to the klx but with enough power to cruise at highway speeds and maintain highway speed on hills without being full throttle and redlined constantly.

I see that the big bore kits are reasonably priced for this bike, but fear this will still not satisfy me. Also read a couple pages on the cam mod (the one thats pinned) and it sounds interesting. I guess these would be the two biggest improvements performance wise? Can they be combined? What am i looking at for HP and reliability then?

What other bikes should I be looking at as an alternative? I need good offroad capability too. Really didnt want anything heavier then the KLX. Id probably try converting a KTM 300 if i could find one. Im a 2 stroke guy honestly. The new race 4 stroke engines and the problems associated with them scare the crap out of me. Thats one of the reasons i went with the KLX, since it wasnt a high strung race engine. But i obviously underestimated how underpowered it would be.

Is a DRZ 400 much heavier then a KLX? Would a WR450 be reliable or does it have a same engine as the race 450's?

Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 AM
1st Gear Member

The klx even with big bore and all the mods isnt a major powerhouse, its great but depends how much power you want.the drz400 with mods has way more grunt but just abit heavier.I came off a fairly modded dr650 and am happy with the klx351 but havnt really put allot of street miles on yet.I went with the klx more cuz i was leaning towards more trailability than street prowness (power to pass and all that).
hope that helps abit??

Old 03-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

The WR has alternator issues, magnets and under powered which makes the electrical get too hot! It is an easy enough ride to tinker on though.

I am looking for a KLX450 to convert over.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmurray70
After a couple months of searching I picked up a 2006 KLX 250. Had a couple of short rides on it and im very dissapointed with the lack of power. I need a bike similer to the klx but with enough power to cruise at highway speeds and maintain highway speed on hills without being full throttle and redlined constantly.
Then why did you get a KLX250?!! hahaaa

I always see threads like this.. Didn't you guys test ride the bike or do a bit of research before buying it?!

Old 03-31-2012, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmurray70
Ha?
Either the 2006 is a lot different than the 2009 model or, sorry, but your severly overweight.
I have zero issues with mine and it goes like a bandit.
Problem maintaining highway speed and constantly redlined?

I could cruise at 75MPH all day long hills or not....

Old 03-31-2012, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Sell it. you will never be happy.
the bike you are looking for does not exist nor can it be built.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Get out your wallet. Go look at a Husaberg 570. Do the insulation tricks to try and keep the fuel temps down, and get an upgraded fuel pump. Be prepared for further fuel pump problems due to the heat. Change the suspension front and rear. See if there is SOMETHING you can do about the very, very hard and narrow seat. See if there is some sort of additional fuel capability to be had. $10,000.00 later, you may have what you're looking for.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:47 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

KTM is going to be the closest to anything that you are describing. Get prepared to do some TLC on the wallet.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member

mmurray70, I recommend you sell your KLX and look for something orange or blue/yellow. I would say get a DRZ400, but I suppose that's too heavy for you. What you want costs quite a bit more than a six year old Kawi. You want something as light as the KLX, but with significantly more power. That math equals $$$. Still, I doubt any of those bikes will ever be as stone-ax reliable as a KLX or DRZ.

I've had my '07 for 4 1/2 years now, w/ no big bore kit (yet) and I have no problems cruising a freeway speed or keeping up on hills, so I must say I don't know where you're coming from, but as I said in the beginning, I think you should sell the KLX and move on to something that is more in line with what you are looking for. Although I can't imagine how you think a KTM 300 (2 stroke) would be good for riding on the highway.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:18 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I totally agree on the unacceptability of the KTM300 2-stroke as anything you're going to use on pavement. While it may be the best 2-stroke trailbike ever made, it is horrible for any real stretch of pavement cruising like you mention. The power those modern 4-strokes make and their lighter weight come at a price...less long term durability, more service requirements, and less fuel economy...at least compared to bikes like the KLX250 and WR250R. I think the best overall balance at the moment may be in the '12 Husqvarna 250/310 street legal models, but they still require a bit more service intensity than the KLX and cost a ton more. They do rock quite strongly off road, however. Getting the best of light weight, lots of power, extreme durability, ease of service, off road prowess, and fuel economy may be unattainable without an unattainable price tag.

Quick Reply: Not impressed with KLX... Should I mod it or sell it?