A noob's first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default A noob's first oil change

Klx 250s 09 green

So after putting 116 miles on my brand new klx i decide nows the time to change the oil. I ask myself where am i going get and what type of oil and filter i will use. Just like a noob i search

popular motorcycle web sites and can not find 09 filters listed, plenty of 08's and earlier years. So kawasaki.com i go, under 250s i click accessories then click parts diagram, select model and oil

pump. After clicking 52010 a window pops up, if you click on the yellow question mark a list of 52 motorcycles comes up that share the same filter.Wow, ok now i know when i call my local

autoparts place them boneheads will have a later model on the list. Over the phone i listed a few models and year makes, price and brand difference from 24 to 5 dolars. Inotedthe 5

dollarFRAM CH6015 oil filter. Sir does that FRAM come with a rubber O-ring? "yes sir it does" Instead of heading to autoparts place figure maybe walmart my have some cheaper, so off i go.

At walmart i begin to look for the Filter Cross Reference book, even asked a mechanic. Did not have one but had a cross refernnce book for motorcycle spark plugs, bah. Scanning the shelfs,

bota bing FRAM CH6015 $5.47 each i buy 5. Off to the oil section i go picking up every 10w-40 quart i see and reading the back. ) Mobil Clean 5000 $ 1.97 had API SM/CF SL, SJ, SH, SG. In

Manual recommend engine oils is API SE, SF or SG API SH, SJ or SL with JASO MA. So 2 quarts i grab then bah i finally see a shelf 2 alsle away with only one type of 4 stoke motorcycle oil.

Mobil Motorcycle something was called , so here i read the back and only thing it did have that Mobil Clean 5000 didnt was JASO MA. The JASO MA oil was like 9 bucks(didn't buy)a quart so i

decided after a hour or reading ill head home and tackle changing the oil.

I ride the Klx around the neighborhood a couple of miles to get the oil nice and hot, assuming will drain better. Use a metric socket set to take off the oil plug, which i might add drained into my

walmart oil drip pan nicely. Seems like on most cars ive changed oil in some kind of steel bar was always in the way and got messy. I let the oil fall threw one of my wifes very fine strainer she

had in the kitchen.I tilted the bike left and right to make sure i got every drop out i could. Looking in the fine strainer i seen 1 metal shaving(very small) but several what looked like blue paint

flakes. I take the filter case off and filter out. Ametal spring lays at the bottom of the filter case. Looking at the filter i notice more (looks like) blue paint flakes. I replace the rubber o-ring

around oil filter cap. With spring in hand i try to put it back in center(between 4 metal risers) but would not stay on its on. "Hey Honey come out here and help me tilt her and see if this spring

will stay put while i put the back of the oil filter in the groove right."That didnt work.) Using a garbage bag tie i bent it to shape to hold the spring in place while i slide the new oil filter in.

Once in of course i pulled the tie out sitted the oil cap, making damn sure i didnt cover "oil in and oil out" holes. Basicly guess i could have screwed up there and put the cap on wrong which im

sure would have caused engine damage. ) I put my oil plug back in , tried to estimate how much 11 pounds of torque would be so i wouldnt strip the block treads. ) Put my 1 and half quarts

in, screwed in top plastic cap. So "Honey hold this bike straight and level" so i can check the oil level in the window.As she does that you have to pull the foot brake level down a hair so you

get a full view of window. Damn to full, above top line. I ponder, damn i need to start it up. Crank it up , i maybe let it warm up 15 sec and drove it around the yard. Before i got back to the

garage it's spurting and stalls. "oh hell" In the garage i choke , unchoke, choke try to crank to no avail. "oh my god i screwed something up" At this point im freaking out, looking up the road

i notice my new motorcross bud is not home. Dangit im going have to go to my new harley friends house , glad he lives right behind me. Knock knock, "dude i so messed up i changed the oil

and now i can't get it to crank back up." "hold on ill be right over" Standing in his yard waiting im getting worried even more so i walk back to the house look the bike over and notice where i

turned the fuel value to the off position. And here comes my harley friend, i told himi had it off and he chuckes a while.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: A noob's first oil change

I use OEM filters as well as Kawasaki 10W40 mineral oil. When you put the spring back in lay the bike on the ground prefferably on your lawn or somthing soft (to prevent unnessisary scratches), or If I remember reading on here someone used a small amount of grease to hold the spring.

Ken

Old 05-16-2008, 04:15 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

the JASO is the most important one of all. You should always run motorcycle oil in your bike, auto oil isn't made for the high heat of your tiny KLX engine. Debate it all you want, but auto oils and motorcycle oils are different. When your tranny seizes up, you'll wish you'd bought that cheap $9 motorcycle mobil1. Funny story nonetheless.

anyone know if the walmart fram oil filters are worth crap? I wouldn't ever use a fram in my autos, but are the motorcycle frams good? they're accessible and cheap compared to the overpriced oem ones for $12 a pop.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advise, i did plan on getting oil changed and serviced at 600 miles. I need to do some research on some oil specifications now)

Sudo

Old 05-16-2008, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Best to get Jaso MA, it's designed for a 'wet clutch'.
You don't want your clutch to slip. $9 isn't that much.
The story made me chuckle.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:06 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sudo

Thanks for the advise, i did plan on getting oil changed and serviced at 600 miles. I need to do some research on some oil specifications now)

Sudo
don't make the oil thing harder than it really is.
10W-40, JASO MA. take your pick after those two things. I'd put off on the full-synthetics until you get more miles. I use this oil:

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7040549

Old 05-16-2008, 10:31 AM
1st Gear Member

On the spring issue, I just used a pair of plies and opened up the last coil just a hair, holds it nice and snug in place now!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I use the fram oil filter myself no problems with it, also use OEM kawa oil. Short paragraphs FTW.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah good info though, very nice write up!

Old 05-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i just took my oil filter and spring out.... you dont need that thing... lawn mowers dont have filters.

Quick Reply: A noob's first oil change