noobie

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Cool noobie

Hey everybody my name is Andy Cleveland,Ohio i have been a "lurker"for many moons but now that i am the proud owner of a 2009 klx 250sf i have a reason to join. i am so excited about my new bike i bought it from a gentleman in Detroit for $2300. Its a 2009 2048 miles tricked out with a 351.a fmf q4 exhaust pro taper bars red bull sticker kit and a supermoto front fender and a couple of other odds and ends. i started out wanting a tw 200 i liked the fat tires then after my buddies talked into shooting for something a little bigger, got hooked on a klx 250s wanted the green one. then after reading tons of opinions started leaning towards a drz 400 sm couldnt really afford that and after tons of browsing on craigslist came across this klx 250sf bored out to a 351 great deal i think so i immediatly scooped it drove over 3 hours to pick it! up i figure since i will be riding mostly steet the sf will suit me well. i have never ridden b4 so i am just learning. had a honda ruckus i sold to help buy it. fun lil scooter it was!so anyhow my second day havin it i killed the battery tryin to start it. i heard this machine is cold blooded its in the 30s right now i got about 8-10 cranks b4 the battery died.do u think maybe i need a new battery?Any advice on starting this machine? thinkn about getting a new battery,how do i pop start it? should i get a battery?also there is a spot on the engine that says "Kick Starter" with a black cap.but no lever.does that mean the kick start is installed? i took it for a spin yesterday def. can tell i never rode b4 stalled it out etc. but gettin used to shifting 1down 5 up down shifting is a lil shotty but by the end of the summer i should b a pro. the bike felt like plenty of power for a newbie and glad its a 351..next best thing to my old dream of a drz.well guys all the advice u have on anything would be greatly appreciated..post pics soon oh the fmf is a slip on. can a eventually get the head pipe and would it fit since its a slip on?i also need a new helmet kinda want to rock the googles helmet combo but not sure any thoughts on cool helmets for a sm ride? so like i said all the info i can get from maintenence to riding to performance parts to price paid etc. would be RAD! PEACE & HAPPINESS,Chewy Cleveland,Ohio...

Old 02-24-2011, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Charge the battery before you try and start it again, it will probably be cold natured so if it would be above 40-50 all the better, and use the choke. If the bike turns over well the batt. is fine if not a new one is probably in order. As far as head pipes go an FMF powerbomb or Megabomb should fit just fine with a simple install. Hopefully you've already heard this bike run, The battery from stock won't stay up well if parked when cold without a tender as there is some draw form the electronics on the 09's and up.

Last edited by linkin5; 02-25-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats awesome you already got a bike with a big bore, because eventually you would probably go that route anyways.

Bike shouldn't be cold blooded, since it has a big bore I assume it has been jetted. Once my bike was jetted, all cold start issues went away. I started my bike this last weekend and it was 15 degrees out and hadn't been run in a month, started on the third crank.

Are you sure you pulled the choke out?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats Chewy. Sounds like you got and AWESOME deal!! MSF course would be a smart move, but common sense and a lot of practice out in the country will get you by too. Your biggest threat while riding is the other guy. You have to watch out when he isn't.
I think everything you asked about is already on here somewhere. Using the search function will find more info than you can absorb. Cold starts suck (even on my 351) . Best option is to drill out the enricher jet to .018" (search) There are many other work arounds for it on here, if you search, but the best bet is to fix the problem. I keep a battery tender on mine in the cold weather. Keeps it charged and a little warm. That means more cranking power. No kick start on your bike but you can buy the parts and install it, there is at least one thread on here about that.
It's a great bike , be careful, and have fun.
Dan

Last edited by dan888; 02-24-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

You got a great deal, man! I paid several hundred more than that 10 days ago, for a stock 2009 with 1900 miles on it. I don't feel like I got rooked, but you clearly did a lot better than me!

Old 02-24-2011, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

An 09 for $2300 thats a steal!!!!!!!!! Good luck with it

Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh yea about that DRZ, you got a bike that is near it's equal with that big bore kit and some here would say better. The KLX has an extra gear ( 6 speed vs 5 on the DRZ) and is a better ballanced ride. The DRZ's are a tad top heavy and taller. You got a very nice machine that will last years with little maintance so be careful and enjoy. Lots of info here about the bike and help with any upgrades you may want.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Be careful charging the battery. Max charging rate is only 0.9 Amps. Even a car trickle charger runs too high.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

GREAT deal you got there!!! Especially with the 351 already in place! It's a "must do" mod in my book!

As far as cold starts - do what the others say. It seems to be kinda hit or miss.. Mine has never had any probs with cold starts.

As for the kick-starter hole - no, there is no kick starter, you're at the mercy of the battery and starter.. But the good news is you can get a kit and fit one on without too much trouble.

Good luck, keep the rubber side down, and happy riding!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Awesome price there Chewy.. I bought my KLX250sf two weeks ago brand new for just under $4k all in. Already spent nearly $400 on upgrades with the Edge2 kit and FMF 4 Powercore slip on... Looking to get a 351 and pumper carb but then that should be it.. Maybe some new bars and braided hoses, but then that'll be it. You got a fantastic deal ! Enjoy (once you get it started )

Quick Reply: noobie