noob lookin 4 guideance, always....

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default noob lookin 4 guideance, always....

What are the advantages of switching to K&N oil & air filters? How about the negatives? Also, advice on favored chain oil, engine oil, tires for dual use, 35%road/ 65% off. Also looking to get a stand as I've come close to dropping while try to move & lube chain, etc. What snorkel change out and where do you get the replacement. Thanks for your experienced opinions.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

When I bought my bike the salesman said using a non-oem oil filter could void my warranty if a problem was found to be attributed to the oil filter. Personally I think the Kawasaki oil filter is just fine. I mean **** have you seen how small it is.

As for the air filter I think that depends a lot on the type of riding you're going to do. I think the foam filters are better for dirt because they can easily be washed. I ride mainly street, so I use a K&N which allows for more air intake. I don't know if it's any more or less air then a foam filter.

I bought a $50 stand at Cycle Gear and bent the lever the first time I used it. I wish I would have spent a little more and bought a better one. ...next time.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

that kdx snorkel can be purchased from bill blue at Home Page or you can just go to your local kawasaki dealership...it's to let in more air while keeping a snorkel to keep water out....

k&n appears to be more free flowing air filter choice....but, depending on your jetting and a/f adjustments, i wouldn't change your air filter set up if your bike is running perfectly strong....for oil filters, the k&n and the stock oil filter looks to have the most pleats...probably filters the oil the best....i've used oem, tusk, hiflo, k&n and now i'm using the stainless steel filter...haven't found any issues with any of them....

you can get a motorcycle jack for $80 for standard or about $130 aluminum at harbor freight when it's on sale (with coupon)...it's more useful than a stand in my opinion..you can lift just to straighten or lift enough to keep the tires down...or, lift both tires completely off the ground.....easy chain lube...easy tire removal...sprocket changes...dog bone removal, clean and lube....brake fluid bleed and fluid change....the moto jack has been quite useful...for oil changes you can't use a moto jack...i just put a book or two underneath the kickstand to straighten the moto out for oil changes, no jack or stand needed....

Last edited by ahnh666; 05-31-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Shade,.....you DO realize you're asking for an objective answer to a highly subjective question??? (Particularly on the lube and filters.) I think the issue of gay marriage might be LESS controversial.......

The moto-jack/stand question I'll defer to the forum.....

Old 05-31-2012, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is the stand I use. Just put the kick stand down lean the bike over and push the stand under it. Works great for $15. I also use it to step on when I load my bike in the truck. I have had this for about 10 years now.

Shop Rubbermaid 2-Step Molded Plastic Step Stool at Lowes.com

Old 05-31-2012, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Harbor Freight has a very nice stand for $29.99 Gonna pick one up after my next paycheck.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to order a Motorsport P-12 Lift Stand, it's a little pricey but all the reviews say it is well made and work well. Guess I'll stick with the OEM filters at least till warranty ends, maybe longer. Going to check on the KDX snorkel at local dealer.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
Shade,.....you DO realize you're asking for an objective answer to a highly subjective question??? (Particularly on the lube and filters.) I think the issue of gay marriage might be LESS controversial.......

The moto-jack/stand question I'll defer to the forum.....
What if someone who's gay is asking about an air filter....now thats a powderkeg. LOL

Old 06-01-2012, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's my stand. I love it!

Name:  100_5154small.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  158.1 KB

Name:  100_5152small.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  150.0 KB

Name:  100_5098small.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  157.7 KB

Old 06-01-2012, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Quick Reply: noob lookin 4 guideance, always....