Nobrakes and HardTaco go to Hatfield McCoy

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KDXmike
You guys have to be insane trying to take those bikes up that #199. But it must be a nice feeling of accomplishment. I know guys who ride the Hatfield & McCoys every so often and they tell me that you'd better make sure your bike is maintained and in tip top shape before you go there.

I'd like to give those trails (some of them) a go one day. They're about 5hrs. away from where I live. Great ride report!

PS- How did you guys avoid getting lost on the trails? It looks like it would be pretty easy to get yourself 'turned around'.

Mike
Thanks Mike, it was definitely a good feeling to reach the top of 199. HardTaco was the first one up and he said he did donuts in celebration.

If you go to http://www.trailsheaven.com you can find trail maps. They are pretty detailed and all the trails are color coded by difficulty. I printed out several on a color printer and laminated them for the trip which came in very handy. With the map and my GPS we were able to match up to where we were just about everywhere we went. Here's the map for the Browning Fork trail system that we were on:

http://www.trailsheaven.com/explore_...gfork/map.aspx

Click the map for a PDF zoomable and printable version.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow.....wow....and oh did I mention WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! I got tired just looking at the pictures of all those gnarly trails. And I will be the first to admit that I would not have made it on half of those trails. Nice write up and you should add this to the official ride report using the same format as the others. Thanks Brian.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Nice write up and you should add this to the official ride report using the same format as the others. Thanks Brian.
Done.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
And I will be the first to admit that I would not have made it on half of those trails.
Agreed, if someone wants to attempt the really difficult H&M trails then they'd best have a Trackmaster II or equivalent installed before going. Judging from the map that Nobrakes linked to, it's easy to avoid them... kinda. The whole trail system seem very convoluted when looking at the map. I'm gonna get down there next season for sure.

Mike

Last edited by KDXmike; 09-25-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:56 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Jerry, Josh, and Chase all had TM-II rear tires and they were not loving life. HM is hard terrain, and they didn't care for the TM-II there. I like the TM-II here in the NC woods, though. I was using a Pirelli MT16 rear with a Pirelli Scorpion Pro front and found that to be a decent combination for HM.

And as much as I don't care for the D606 rear due to it stepping out in the corners, I think it would have been a decent tire for most of those trails. Not nearly as good as the MT16, though. But the MT16 is non-DOT, so that's its downside.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:11 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Or ... maybe a trials tire for trail 199.

Last edited by Nobrakes; 09-25-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Amazing

That is some serious trail riding there, holy .... moly
Mountain trails are really awesome. Thats what the ones we ride in Maine look like. When your in them your asking yourself what the hellamIdoin" here.
Then when your done your all like, ya baby, bring it on !!

Great pictures and report !!

Old 09-26-2008, 01:33 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Great stuff man.... finally got a chance to look while at home.... id like to try that 199 trail... i like that kinda stuff.... kinda makes me wish i had chosen to go with you guys... looks like some awsome stuff... HM is one hell of a trail system... Wellsville, which is local for me, is actually harder than HM... it was rated one of the top 10 places to ride in the country by dirt bike magazine. But the HM trails are nice, well marked, great views... when i went down we had a local guide, and got the scoop on how it works, alot of big industries own that land and lease the rights to ride on it to HM, so they dont actually own any property, and the big companys arent held liable for the riders, and gettin hurt, so everyone wins... cause u guys know as well as i do that people would ride there anyway. Good stuff brian.... these kinda trips are what Dual sporting is all about.... Great memories...

Old 09-26-2008, 01:05 PM
1st Gear Member

If anyone else goes to HM this year.. let me know lol

Old 09-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRock420
If anyone else goes to HM this year.. let me know lol
Sorry I didn't specifically PM you JRock, but I did mention it a few weeks prior here:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...d.php?p=322666

And here:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...d.php?p=323277

You should have said something.

But we weren't really interested in organizing a ride for a big group, so I didn't put out a general invitation and all that might imply. We just wanted to hit the trails, ride the hardest stuff we could find, and not have to worry about keeping a group together. But anyone was welcome to join us if they wanted, didn't try to hide that we were going.

Quick Reply: Nobrakes and HardTaco go to Hatfield McCoy