no-start

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default no-start

HeyheyheyKLXers
Moist as the amazon round ere rihgt now. bout 35 degrees f.
Turns over good,Ran good when I parked it. I suspect the coating of moisture is the cause. Any one else have this problem?

Noticed in last two heavy rains she wanted to stall if the revs dropped.Coil grounding or ignition switch shorting?

Or...
Sogg(y)estions or hints

Merry Christmass everyon!

Maddog(Marc)

Old 12-23-2007, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: no-start

Carburetor icing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor_icing
Carb icing occurs when there is humid air, and the temperature drop in the venturi causes the water vapour to freeze. The ice will form on the surfaces of the carburetor throat, further restricting it. This may increase the venturi effect initially, but eventually restricts airflow, perhaps even causing a complete blockage of the carburetor. Icing may also cause jamming of the mechanical parts of the carburetor, such as the throttle butterfly valve.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HeavyFuel

Carburetor icing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor_icing
Carb icing occurs when there is humid air, and the temperature drop in the venturi causes the water vapour to freeze. The ice will form on the surfaces of the carburetor throat, further restricting it. This may increase the venturi effect initially, but eventually restricts airflow, perhaps even causing a complete blockage of the carburetor. Icing may also cause jamming of the mechanical parts of the carburetor, such as the throttle butterfly valve.

Carb Icing usually doesn't cause a no start. It happens while riding. But... if it was Iced when it was parked, maybe. I would try a hair dryer aimed at the Carby for a few minutes & see if she starts. If not then it's backto basics. Spark + Fuel + compression = Combustion. Which one is missing???? My gut feeling is a fouled spark plug from the last ride or even a plug that's spent. Good Luck & let us know how you make out

Old 12-23-2007, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Ooops. My bad, I should have read more carefully. How about pulling the spark plug out and shoot a tiny squirt of starting fluid in the bore and shoot a bit on the spark plug to dry it off?

Old 12-23-2007, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

This reminds me of a guy at work who has an '86 Ninja 600. He doesn't ride it much, he tells me he heats up the exhaust headers with a propane torch and it fires up. Sounds kinda nutty to me, but this guy is a mechanical engineer and a sprint car racer, so he might be on to something, but I'm not sure what. Maybe the heat transfers to the head and helps keep the plug from fouling? I dunno...

Old 01-26-2008, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

No winter riding??

I'm ^#@^%%$(* off!!

Thanks 4 the replies.

Am I the only one?

Started fine when above freezing last week.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Yo ...
Anyone have an easy spark plug removal methood?
Marc

Old 01-26-2008, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MADDOG2007

No winter riding??

I'm ^#@^%%$(* off!!

Thanks 4 the replies.

Am I the only one?

Started fine when above freezing last week.
I don't think you have to worry about the temperature, it was 22 degrees when I rode mine to work yesterday. It started with one push of the button...

Old 01-27-2008, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

1. Close petcock
2. Drain carb bowl
3. Close drain
4. Open petcock
5. Start engine and ride, ride, ride.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:34 AM

I had the same problem when it was below 40 degrees and I pulled the bike into the garage and placed a small space heater near the engine to warm it up. Waited about ten minutes and then it cranked right up. Seems to be cold natured. Not nearly as bad as my Honda XR400. I kicked it about 100 times today before it would start.

Quick Reply: no-start