no pics yet! but back from enduro

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 02:27 AM
Default no pics yet! but back from enduro

I just got back from The Capital City Enduro in Tallahassee, which is AMA sanctioned, and boy, I have SO much respect for these guys now. This was honestly, the toughest thing I think I've ever done.

So me and my dad went there last night and camped out. We met a guy next to us that gave me some good advice. I was either going to enter the beginner class or C 250 which is a Novice class. I entered C250. For all of you that haven't ridden in FL before, the soft sand is ridiculus. Not only is it bad normally, but it hasn't rained over there in like a month, so the dust from other riders was crazy.
I started on row 57 of about 65. The way it works is 5 riders leave at a time one minute apart. So I started 57 minutes behind row 1. Well, my row comes up, I'm ready, we go, the 4 riders on my row leave me instantly. All of a sudden I'm riding along in a cloud of dust, can't see anything, the sand is like 12" deep! Less than 1 mile in I dump it, no biggie, I get going about 5 miles later I go down again, (these are very TIGHT, sandy trails, somtimes so tight your handlebars don't fit.) and my right barkbuster slams into this tree, pick it up, damn! my handlebars got tweaked. So I go to take off, grab the front brake and fluid starts dripping out of the banjo bolt on master cylinder. I hit the tree so hard it knocked it loose and bark was even stuck on the master cylinder.
Long story short, I went down maybe 8-10 times. I know this seems like a lot, but when your in the sand all out over 67 miles, stuff happens. Also, it was almost all whoops, I mean crazy whoops sometimes for like 1/8 mile straight.
One of the later accidents, I hit the right side again and point of impact was on the brake line at master cylinder and sheared it right off. I had no front brake over half of the track.

All in all, it was a great learning experince. I learned to have a huge camelback, bring powerbars for at the resets, and cut your handlebars narrower for the tight trails. Also, I don't think the KLX will see anymore racing. I put a alot of wear and tear on it this weekend. I'm gonna look for a KDX200 or something like it cheap so I can beat up on it.

The last 1/4 of the race I was just praying for the end to be near. I had so much dust in my mouth, my throat was hurting from it scratching when I swallowed. My kidneys were killing me, I was dehytrated, legs cramping, etc., but it was awesome to finish the whole race. A lot of guys quit early, but I just couldn't quit, even without front brakes. I don't know my place yet, but I know it wasn't real good. I just rode, didn't do any timekeeping.

I'll have pics tomorrow night.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:19 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: no pics yet! but back from enduro

Very cool, Keith - congrats on finishing, sounds like just finishing was quite a challenge. David Knight watch out!

Old 10-16-2006, 05:29 AM

Rock on, glad you raced your bike and finished

Im working up to a hare scramble maybe... Just to see what its like. I KNOW Ill get beat, but hey... the KLX needs to stretch its legs

Old 10-16-2006, 05:41 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

There's a race from the same series Keith just did coming up in South Carolina in January. Gravy Train and I were talking about doing that one but if he's shipping out, and with my collar bone still on the mend I'm not sure if either of us will make it now, though. It's something I'd like to do at least once to see if I like it. It looks so fun, but I can imagine looks can be deceiving and I bet its a whole lot harder than it looks, as indicated by Keith's experience. But that doesn't mean its not fun - sometimes the funnest things are those that are the most challenging.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:47 AM

yeah, i thought it would be eaiser than it was. a lot of other riders told me that i picked one of the harder races for a first timer. oh well, like you said, just finishing was cool with me.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow, great accomplishment, Keith ... way to go! [sm=smiley20.gif] Doesn't matter where you finished, man, that fact that you did says a lot. You've earned my respect.

So now you know: Its harder than it looks, but just as fun as it is challenging. And even if its grueling, look at the bright side ... the next one (Is there going to be a next one?) will be easier.

Mike

Old 10-16-2006, 11:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on finishing, the KLX is not something I would have chosen for this type of event but well done anyway. Like you said a KDX would be the go.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

cool! glad u finished, hope your repairs are not too pricy.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Hats off to you Keith.
Great effort.
It must have been interesting to ride with no front brake!!

Old 10-16-2006, 08:20 PM

well, there was about 15 people in my class. i didnt get last in points!! because one guy got disqualified. whoohoo. but seriously. next time i will do some timekeeping and try to place.

Quick Reply: no pics yet! but back from enduro