No more straps - MotoCinch!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whyzee
+1, less than 5 mins to load.

Hey Bill. If you are using 4 straps per bike , how does the rear end slip sideways? Or are/were you using 2 each side up front for redundancy?
Two front, two rear. I am not sure how it slipped. All I can figure is that I didn't have the rear suspension compressed enough. And at that time I wasn't using the wood blocks on the front forks, so maybe they weren't compressed enough either. It slipped enough that the bike was laying over on the other bike. If it had gone the other direction, it would have fallen off the trailer. It was on a very bumpy road.

Ever since then I've been paranoid, never quite trusting the straps.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
On securing the rear wheel, I'm not too high on straps compressing the rear suspension...or front suspension for that matter. I use one of the semi-homemade devices that goes between the front fender/triple clamp and front tire and use conventional straps. In the rear, I use 2 eye-hooks with a rubber hose covered chain with quick clips on each end to secure the rear wheel. Make the chain the right length, and it will keep the rear wheel in place even on rough 2-tracks.

This system Bill has shown here doesn't seem to compress the suspension too much, and that's good. I think I'd still want my front tire to be pushed into a V or slot, and I'd secure the rear with my described setup. I can load and secure my bike in about 5 minutes easily. I think some of it is just having your method down and your technique a matter of routine.
Maybe I just work slow!

I'm thinking about bolting some aluminum angle pieces down to the floor of the trailer to form a track to wheel the bike into. It would make it very easy to be sure the bike is centered between the the MotoCinch brackets and lined up straight. And it would make it impossible for the tires to slip sideways.

This system does compress the suspension, but nowhere near as much as straps. A nice benefit to the system for me is that I can load the trailer up the night before a trip, and be all ready to go, except the levers are not engaged on the brackets. The bikes are held upright, but the suspension is not compressed. Then in the morning when I'm ready to pull out, run around and flip the 4 levers up, and I'm ready to go. Then the suspension is only compressed for the 2 hour drive, not all night long.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BillMoore
Maybe I just work slow!
The bikes are held upright, but the suspension is not compressed. Then in the morning when I'm ready to pull out, run around and flip the 4 levers up, and I'm ready to go. Then the suspension is only compressed for the 2 hour drive, not all night long.
Yeah not having a go at you or anything but you can do the same thing with the tie downs, just pull them enough to hold the bike the night before, when you leave pull them down firm. It is easier with a bike trailer of course.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:11 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Yeah not having a go at you or anything but you can do the same thing with the tie downs, just pull them enough to hold the bike the night before, when you leave pull them down firm. It is easier with a bike trailer of course.
Yep, exactly what I do. Everything like straps, front wheel chock, and rear wheel chain are in place. Literally in seconds I've pulled the straps tight and am driving away the next morning.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:07 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Yep, exactly what I do. Everything like straps, front wheel chock, and rear wheel chain are in place. Literally in seconds I've pulled the straps tight and am driving away the next morning.
Rear wheel chain?

Old 06-13-2012, 01:08 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
Rear wheel chain?
Please to be explaining.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:37 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
Please to be explaining.
I showed it in that earlier pic on this thread. Here it is again. It's simply 2 eye-hooks with a length of small chain cut to a length that retains the rear wheel without having to use straps on the rear end. It takes about a second to hook up this device. I've driven down rough 2-tracks with my trailer, and the rear end doesn't move around. The piece of rubber hose is there to protect the wheel. I think it was heater hose or some other thick, inner-braided, industrial hose.

Attached Thumbnails No more straps - MotoCinch!-trailer-2.jpg  
Old 06-13-2012, 03:56 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I showed it in that earlier pic on this thread. Here it is again. It's simply 2 eye-hooks with a length of small chain cut to a length that retains the rear wheel without having to use straps on the rear end. It takes about a second to hook up this device. I've driven down rough 2-tracks with my trailer, and the rear end doesn't move around. The piece of rubber hose is there to protect the wheel. I think it was heater hose or some other thick, inner-braided, industrial hose.
thanks, sorry about that...they say people in the tennessee hills cant read and i'm one of them.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

5 Minutes? How about 5 Seconds, OK Maybe a little longer.

Pit Posse Dirt Bike/Dual Sport Transport Shoe

No I don't have one but always wanted one. It doesn't compress the suspension either.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Remember my vampire killer front fork brace from 5 years ago?

Name:  100_4941small.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  76.7 KB

Hahahaha I never use it, the problem with fork braces is that I use compression straps and you can't get them tight if you cant really compress the springs a little. There has been a lot of discussions as to if its bad to compress the springs, but really if its just from point A to B then I think its OK. If you were going to load a bike and squish it down for a week, then I would consider a different way. As far as "loading up, its really a 5 minute job for me too.

Quick Reply: No more straps - MotoCinch!