Newbie Handguards/351 BB questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Newbie Handguards/351 BB questions

Hey guys,

Quite a newbie question, but I'm looking at getting some handguards and want to know if the stock bars support the ZETA XC handguards?

Zeta XC say they their "Handguards [are] available for 7/8"(22.2mm) bars or 1-1/8"(28.6mm) bars" but I have no clue what the stock bars are.

Also I want to chuck in a 351 BB kit because the lack of HP makes me want to cry after riding my CBR600. Do I need to do anything before I do it? Or after I do it? Like rejet or anything like that.

Bike is 100% stock besides cosmetic mods.

I'm not mechanically minded so I any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by smadi
Hey guys,

Quite a newbie question, but I'm looking at getting some handguards and want to know if the stock bars support the ZETA XC handguards?

Zeta XC say they their "Handguards [are] available for 7/8"(22.2mm) bars or 1-1/8"(28.6mm) bars" but I have no clue what the stock bars are.

Also I want to chuck in a 351 BB kit because the lack of HP makes me want to cry after riding my CBR600. Do I need to do anything before I do it? Or after I do it? Like rejet or anything like that.

Bike is 100% stock besides cosmetic mods.

I'm not mechanically minded so I any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.
Odds are the stock bars have a solid plug in the end for vibration damping. If the hand guards require a threaded insert be put in the end of the bars that plug needs to go. From what I read recently, you can use a pipe cutter about 1/4" from the end on each end to cut the bar, when the pipe cuter quits cutting it is through the tubing and the end, with steel plug can be pulled out and the had guards put on.

The other option is to buy different bars.

As for how the 250 runs versus your 600, even a 351 kit won't make you quit crying. If you want to quit riding take your 250 on some gravel/dirt roads and do some off-road riding while thinking how your 600 would handle that! With bikes like the KLX it isn't about sheer speed or power, that comes with displacement, but it will take a whole lot more than 351cc to come remotely close to making an impression like a 600 does. On the other hand, riding a great trail does.

This is not to say skip out on the 351 though. But it ain't cheap, especially when you can't build it yourself.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey guys,

Thanks.
I bought the same handguards although i fitted them to a set of renthals and not the stock handle bars, they fit well although it maybe worth looking into some (short)after market levers at the same time.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:11 AM

I put the zeta hand guards on the stock bars. I just drilled and tapped the center of the bar for the size of the bolt that comes with the guards.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
As for how the 250 runs versus your 600, even a 351 kit won't make you quit crying. If you want to quit riding take your 250 on some gravel/dirt roads and do some off-road riding while thinking how your 600 would handle that! With bikes like the KLX it isn't about sheer speed or power, that comes with displacement, but it will take a whole lot more than 351cc to come remotely close to making an impression like a 600 does. On the other hand, riding a great trail does.

This is not to say skip out on the 351 though. But it ain't cheap, especially when you can't build it yourself.
Yeah I know it won't match my 600, or even come close, but it definitely needs something. Stock HP is really lacking.
Before I get the BB, do I need to do anything to it to get it ready for the BB?

Originally Posted by peacemaker
I put the zeta hand guards on the stock bars. I just drilled and tapped the center of the bar for the size of the bolt that comes with the guards.
I think I might try this option and then shave the levers down. Don't really see the extra benefit in getting new bars. Seems like a waste.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Zeta XCs?

Old 06-22-2014, 08:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I think I might try this option and then shave the levers down. Don't really see the extra benefit in getting new bars. Seems like a waste.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Zeta XCs?
News bars are definitely not a waste, the stocks are really weak, one little drop and I can almost guarantee that they will be bent out of shape.

Ive had my xc's for around a week, they seem spot on.
A little modification with the controls and levers I think is necessary for them to fit to the bar, but a great choice of hand guards.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zl PINHEAD lz
Ive had my xc's for around a week, they seem spot on.
A little modification with the controls and levers I think is necessary for them to fit to the bar, but a great choice of hand guards.
Awesome. I think I will place the order soon.

What modifications are required for the controls? Don't they just attach to the bars, or bolt on to the triple clamp?

Old 06-22-2014, 03:20 PM

I did end up cutting about an inch off of each stock lever so it would clear the hand guards.in hindsight, I could have just slid the lever inward and I wouldn't have needed to cut anything.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Awesome. I think I will place the order soon.

What modifications are required for the controls? Don't they just attach to the bars, or bolt on to the triple clamp?
Modification may have been the wrong word, more like adjusting the position of the controls.
Like peacemaker said, cutting and inch off each lever will make the installation easier and overall positioning better.

I can get a few pics if you would like.

Last edited by zl PINHEAD lz; 06-23-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zl PINHEAD lz
Modification may have been the wrong word, more like adjusting the position of the controls.
Like peacemaker said, cutting and inch off each lever will make the installation easier and overall positioning better.

I can get a few pics if you would like.
If you could that would be great.
Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Newbie Handguards/351 BB questions