New tires date, would U keep em?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Cool New tires date, would U keep em?

I got my IRC-GP-1 delivered today, front & rear to replace OEM on 250s. The date stamps are 0811 & 3011. Would you accept these? Just wondering if this age makes a nat's, or if you think they're a bit old. Also looking for previous user's opinion's on this model especially from those that have run'em front & rear. Thanks

Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadetreeAZ
I got my IRC-GP-1 delivered today, front & rear to replace OEM on 250s. The date stamps are 0811 & 3011. Would you accept these? Just wondering if this age makes a nat's, or if you think they're a bit old. Also looking for previous user's opinion's on this model especially from those that have run'em front & rear. Thanks
They are fine. I would say they are good for 6 years and most likely even longer.

Do tell how you like them.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I think they're new enough. If they were 5-years old that would be a different story.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 AM
1st Gear Member

You're getting a fresher tire than if you were in the hospital getting a blood transfusion. Tires are good for at least 5 years, if stored correctly.

When you get a blood transfusion, they give the oldest blood that is still barely in date, even though it is acidotic, the 2,3 DPG levels are in the toilet, and many of the cells have ruptured and leaked the hemoglobin out of the cell itself. The only way you get fresher blood is if you are an infant, or, they are running short on supply and have already used up all the oldest blood.

Do you feel better about running the tires?

Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Cool Geeeezz........

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
You're getting a fresher tire than if you were in the hospital getting a blood transfusion. Tires are good for at least 5 years, if stored correctly.

When you get a blood transfusion, they give the oldest blood that is still barely in date, even though it is acidotic, the 2,3 DPG levels are in the toilet, and many of the cells have ruptured and leaked the hemoglobin out of the cell itself. The only way you get fresher blood is if you are an infant, or, they are running short on supply and have already used up all the oldest blood.

Do you feel better about running the tires?
Uhh, umm, if this is leadin to a hospital stay and a blood transfusion, I retract the question. WTF! Never mind, I'm good!

Old 08-07-2012, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you likely to ever put them back on? As far as a dual sport tire goes they're alright. Store them away from sun, electric motors, weird fumes, etc; standing upright on wood or lino.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

If it were me, I would be more concerned with visual appearance; looking for signs of cracking or discoloration...

Old 08-08-2012, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

They get harder as they age, losing their solvents to evaporation. If they are wrapped in celophane and kept out of the sun they can last long time. I'd never run an old street bike tire that was noticeably aged, DS or knobby? probably would go out and use it up.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I am still on the original 2006 tires. They have no cracking look good and are not shedding any tread in an unusual way.

Conversely some new tires don't behave this well.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Cool Whoa.........

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
I am still on the original 2006 tires. They have no cracking look good and are not shedding any tread in an unusual way.

Conversely some new tires don't behave this well.
Wow, how many miles do you have on them??? I am guessing I'll need to swing these new tires on in another thousand miles, give or take judging from the way the OEM's look at the moment. Certainly not complaining about the OEM's for what I ride. I'd still like to hear from someone who had used the GP-1's and what they like or dislike.

Quick Reply: New tires date, would U keep em?