New Thread! Could it be the COIL?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New Thread! Could it be the COIL?!?!?!

Hey guys, sorry to start a new thread on this, but we are shifting gears. This all started with my thread called "carb woes". Well I have NEARLY exhausted my avenues with this, AND I have spoken with KLXster! I think this is possibly the coil, plug, plug wire, or ANY/ALL of these things. Carb looked good inside and out. Seems to have plenty of air and fuel. And it ONLY acts up when warmed up to operating temperature. I plan to remove the snorkel and have my carb done with a DJ kit but not until I figure this other crap out! I want thoughts from people who have had ignition issues and or experience. So, riders ready.... watch the lights.... GO!

Old 01-14-2020, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

what does it do/not do?

Old 01-14-2020, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dogmeat
what does it do/not do?
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...09-250s-46955/

Old 01-14-2020, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

did you try opening the gas cap after it dies to see if the vent is plugged?

if thats not it, then we start looking for electrics

no need to jet yet, thats not the problem. when you do jet, go with the stock set for the klx300, it works.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dogmeat
did you try opening the gas cap after it dies to see if the vent is plugged?

if thats not it, then we start looking for electrics

no need to jet yet, thats not the problem. when you do jet, go with the stock set for the klx300, it works.
Opened the cap and no suction noise, also did not improve running. Last night I put a new plug in it, and it helped, but just seemed to prolong it before it started stalling and then just same issue. I had already planned buy that point to buy a coil, so I trimmed the plug wire back a bit and screwed cap back on. It ran TERRIBLY. Seemingly the same type of problem but much worse. SEEMINGLY. I am hoping it is indeed the coil or plug cap. I also ordered a universal NGK plug cap which I started yet another thread on. This is now THREE threads that I have going on this issue. I wish I had kept it all together. I am also now concerned about it possibly being an issue with the valve adjustment. Since they aren't like a hydraulic lifter in a car, I can't imagine it shutting off when it gets warm. I'm losing my mind, I do know that.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Could this be anything to do with the additional ground wire run on some bikes? I did mine, just because. I don't know where the thread is on it. Anybody remember?

To the OP, you did verify the float bowl is not running dry? Is it running fine then just stops or does it run down?

Old 01-14-2020, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Could this be anything to do with the additional ground wire run on some bikes? I did mine, just because. I don't know where the thread is on it. Anybody remember?

To the OP, you did verify the float bowl is not running dry? Is it running fine then just stops or does it run down?
I ran it with the bowl dripping out the drain. It did the identical thing and the bowl was still dripping. Ran it with fuel cap open and it still did it -so not a vent issue. Inside of carb is spotless. If it was fuel, I think it would run crappy, and crappier. Not like a million bucks and then not at all. Getting real close to just dropping it at a mechanic with a box of parts. Perhaps I will calm down by the time they arrive. Coil will likely not be here for 7-10 days.

Old 01-15-2020, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Carb Vents

Make sure your Carb Vents are not plugged, ( not the overflow) it's a simple thing but I have been caught out on it twice over the decades.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I replied in your other thread with a check for the coil, but wanted to add here that one way to test for venting and clogging in the fuel system if someone does all the basics first like opening the drain to see that it's flowing is just to make up a fuel feeder with a funnel, clear tubing and a shutoff and go directly to the carb with it. Just don't burn down the garage in the process.

Also, does it still die if you adjust the idle stop to keep it at higher rpm like 1800 or 2000.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ALONEINTHEHILLS
I replied in your other thread with a check for the coil, but wanted to add here that one way to test for venting and clogging in the fuel system if someone does all the basics first like opening the drain to see that it's flowing is just to make up a fuel feeder with a funnel, clear tubing and a shutoff and go directly to the carb with it. Just don't burn down the garage in the process.

Also, does it still die if you adjust the idle stop to keep it at higher rpm like 1800 or 2000.
I've got the idle fairly high. Not 2 grand, but probably 1500. I ordered the coil and once it arrives, it is going to a local shop. Guy does the work on the side, but is HIGHLY recommended. He is doing my jet kit anyway, so he may as well address this as well. Hopefully we can get a definitive problem and solution so others will benefit from my anguish! LOL

Quick Reply: New Thread! Could it be the COIL?!?!?!