New record for smashing handguards

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New record for smashing handguards

I recall someone claiming the record for smashing a handguard after dropping the bike on the way out the driveway or something like that. Well I think I may have an unbreakable record. I decided to put the barkbusters on today. I brought the bike into the store and unpacked the box and got started. Right away I found out I needed to trim the end of the throttle off to fit the bar on.
Which ment I needed to run home to get the new dremel I recieved for christmas(old one was fubar) Got the dremel trimed the throttle, mounted both bars and proceded to tear the shop apart looking for the plastics. Finaly decided to see if somehow I had left them sitting on the bike when I went home to get the dremel. Sure enough about 2 miles from the shop I found one of the plastics in the road and all smashed up. Other one is MIA so tommorrow I place the order and wait another couple weeks for more plastics.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:52 AM
1st Gear Member

you might have me beat I was about mile 10 or 11-- first trail; day UNO!

Old 12-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I have a brand new set of the stock ones I took off the bike way back when. I installed the Acerbis handguards with the turn signals built in. Never dropped, still look new.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I got a pair of Tusk D-Flex for Christmas. I thought it would be a quick install. Boy was I wrong. I had to dermal out the vibration dampeners that where welded to the inside of the bars. Did you have to do that?

Old 12-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

We all had to do that....or tap them and run the bolt into them.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I thought about the tap after I already spent a few hours with the dremal.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, that sucks maninthesea on the unfortuneate break in! lol

Old 12-31-2009, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Bummer man! My stock hand "guard" literally exploded the first time I dropped the bike after the stock tires let me down in a muddy rut.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I was lucky as the previous owner had removed the plugs, But whatever brand he used allowed him to make a hole in the end of the throttle tube where I either had to cut the end off or make the hole the same size as the bar.

I have some pics but the card wont read in my computer.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Maninthesea=======LOL I claimed to have the record at .3 miles on the first ride----I offer congrats on doing the almost impossible, ruined barkbusters at 0km or miles LOL. You are now the new record holder. And honestly I dont wanna hold anymore damage records LOL.
I also dented the end cap real bad on my first ride with the fmf q4 muffler installed. I had to drill out the end cap rivets and pound out the dent and rivet it back on. Good news is there's no sign of any dent anymore

Quick Reply: New record for smashing handguards