New Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New Project

A little late getting pictures up since we brought it home a week ago but here they are anyway. Background, as the title says its a '79 CM400T with 15,000 and change miles on it. This is going to be a project for wi5ea55k and myself. She's always wanted to restore an old car, and then lately mentioned she wanted to learn to ride a bike. So here we are with an old bike to fix up, and it will be hers to ride when it's finished.

So far we know we need a gasket set as there is a pretty bad oil leak, the tires are weather checked, seat cover is shot, and I'm assuming I'll have to rebuild the carbs as it has been sitting since for a while considering the inspection sticker is dated June of 07.

Being that we have an apartment with no garage, the laundry room is our makeshift garage, fun stuff.

Name:  CM400T003.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  105.0 KB

Name:  CM400T002.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  119.6 KB

The exhaust system is hiding by the water heater. Was fun trying to get that off as one piece since the gaskets are all hardened and I've yet been unable to get the cans and one header out of the collector.

Name:  CM400T001.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  97.3 KB

WD-40 has only been used as a cleaner, PB Blaster has been taking care of the reluctant 30 year old fasteners.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

WOW!!! that's gonna be a whole winter project. The chain is probably toasted along with the sprockets. Try some heat on the header to get it apart. Check the inside of the tank for rust and double check the screen filters in the tank to make sure they haven't disintergrated. how are the brake pads? if it's been sitting you might have to replace them or just clean off some of the glaze. good luck and have fun.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bryantjt
A little late getting pictures up since we brought it home a week ago but here they are anyway. Background, as the title says its a '79 CM400T with 15,000 and change miles on it. This is going to be a project for wi5ea55k and myself. She's always wanted to restore an old car, and then lately mentioned she wanted to learn to ride a bike. So here we are with an old bike to fix up, and it will be hers to ride when it's finished.

So far we know we need a gasket set as there is a pretty bad oil leak, the tires are weather checked, seat cover is shot, and I'm assuming I'll have to rebuild the carbs as it has been sitting since for a while considering the inspection sticker is dated June of 07.

Being that we have an apartment with no garage, the laundry room is our makeshift garage, fun stuff.

The exhaust system is hiding by the water heater. Was fun trying to get that off as one piece since the gaskets are all hardened and I've yet been unable to get the cans and one header out of the collector.

WD-40 has only been used as a cleaner, PB Blaster has been taking care of the reluctant 30 year old fasteners.
Josh, looks like you have your work cut out for you. New rubber, some TLC and some careful instruction will get the deal done. Let us know how this comes out...

Old 02-17-2009, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

We've gotten a little further. The motor is out and partly disassembled. Had to take the head to a local machine shop to get the exhaust studs out. I broke one off below the face of the head, another sheared off to the point that the fins are in the way of grabbing it with a pair of vice grips, and the third I left alone. The machine shop said they'd soak it for a few days with Kroil and they should be able to get them out easily. They do a lot of work on old Indian motorcycles and have had a few of Jay Leno's bikes in the shop. I'm a Mechanical Engineer and the owner of the shop has built some of my designs for Alcoa up here in Massena so we have a pretty good rapport.

Back on topic....The cylinders are stuck to the base something awful. The 8 bolts that hold the rockers/head/cylinders to the base are out but it seems that the locating dowels and the gasket are stuck in both pieces. I'm soaking the gasket area with PB Blaster and beating on it with a rubber mallet a few times/day hoping it will loosen up.

I finally got the exhaust pipes out of the collector, 2 weeks of daily blasts of PB Blaster and wiggling the pipes finally made the gaskets give up and shatter.

Anyway...here's some pictures.

wi5ea55k hard at work on the side cover. Excuse the darkness, I stole the shot from another room lest I get beat with the scrub brush :lol:

High dollar motor stand...
Name:  CM400T005Large.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  53.4 KB

Gutted...
Name:  CM400T006Large.jpg
Size:  59.9 KB

Still hard at work...

Pretty clean for 30 yrs old....
Name:  CM400T008Large.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  86.5 KB

The offending area....
Name:  CM400T012Large.jpg
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  CM400T014Large.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  71.5 KB

Just a little carbon...
Name:  CM400T013Large.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  89.0 KB

Old 02-17-2009, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice!!! You have A LOT of work left to have that beast ready for the season. I got a new bike last weekend too but mine's turn key.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Old 02-17-2009, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Crappolla!!!! I have more trouble trying to get this shiite to work right:mad
Anyway.........It's a Deej clean 03 wr450. Completely tweeked with all the goodies.

Last edited by lcpl0331; 02-17-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Smoooooooth Craig....real smooth.

Send picture to photobucket, imageshack, smugmug etc, copy the direct address from there, hit mountain picture button here, paste, voila.

Or you could just tell me what you picked up?

Old 02-17-2009, 01:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Yup that's what Ive been doing and it won't work. I did it over at TT the other day and it worked fine.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Weird, tried everything from imageshack but no deal. I borrowed it to upload.

Sharp looking WR, how's that 450 pull?

Old 02-17-2009, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member

That sure looks like fun
I saw a wr426 on Craigslist the other day, looked like a twin to that.

I have tried twice to post a few pictures from my ride to Key West, no luck,something screwy here on the forum again?

Quick Reply: New Project