New Member with trouble!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PeteNFla
My opinion is a valve-train problem. Possibly from a popped out shim? Just a guess. I do not think riding the bike for 100 miles would have any negative impact on your bike, unless of course you were riding it at full throttle. Next thing is, I would not even ride it to the dealer, but truck or trailer it there. Don't run it until they repair it under warranty.
I rode it probably 80 miles this way yesterday. Hope its not damaged to bad. It happened on my way to work after I stopped to get gas. It has been doing it lightly for a while though, but got much worse yesterday.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Here she is on the day I brought her home. I haven't changed anything except I removed the seat strap and chain guard.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Not being able to hear it myself, I think it may be just the cam chain slapping around in there. The automatic tensioner may be nearing that time where it will take it up another notch. After that it will quiet back down and then the cycle will repeat every few thousand miles. So, IMO, it's just normal noise as the cam chain stretches and the adjuster is nearing a take-up point.

But if I actually heard the noise, I may change that opinion, but that's my guess based on your description. Can you record the sound and post it on youtube or something? That may give us a better idea of what you are talking about.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Brian that was my first thought also. i would take it out and inspect it. there may be some damage to the teeth or possibly the spring is too weak to move the tensioner in another tooth.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I had a similar noise, at the mid RPM range. I fixed it by slowly loosening the two bolts holding the tensioner in until I heard it click one time, and then bolted it back down. Now she is quiet and smooth again. You might try this, but don't let it click more than once. If it does, you may have to take it all the way out, and reset the tensioner, and try again. The two bolts are 8mm, one on either side of the 12mm bolt holding the tensioner spring in. I had to slightly loosen the 12mm bolt to move the washer over out of the way of the right side 8mm bolt. Having not heard the noise you are talking about, I can't guarantee this will work.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Personally I think there is no way this is the cam chain, I have heard that before. This is to in sync with the motor, and sounds to be at the very top of the engine. Also, I think it is way to loud to be the chain. This actually sounds very harsh. I easily hear it over the engine, traffic, and the wind when driving. Also, its much much worse on deceleration while in gear. Also if the chain was that loose to make that much noise it would do it at other RPM's.

One more question:
Do yo guys think its normal for a quite tapping at idle. Sounds just like someone tapping on metal with a hammer lightly. It has done this for over 1000 miles.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ddt1972
I had a similar noise, at the mid RPM range. I fixed it by slowly loosening the two bolts holding the tensioner in until I heard it click one time, and then bolted it back down. Now she is quiet and smooth again. You might try this, but don't let it click more than once. If it does, you may have to take it all the way out, and reset the tensioner, and try again. The two bolts are 8mm, one on either side of the 12mm bolt holding the tensioner spring in. I had to slightly loosen the 12mm bolt to move the washer over out of the way of the right side 8mm bolt. Having not heard the noise you are talking about, I can't guarantee this will work.
I did this once before a while back due to noises and it did fix it. But this sound is nothing like that. I will try it again though just to make sure.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, I just removed the chain tensioner. It moves freely, no burs. I bolted the two 8mm bolts back with the spring removed. Then put the spring back and tightened its 12mm bolt. I let the bike idle for a minute or so then revved it to 5800 rpms, same thing. The noise was not better or worse. The exhaust got glowing red in no time. I have never rode it at night so don't know if thats normal. Is it?

Last edited by hancadam; 08-15-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hancadam

One more question:
Is it normal for the oil to be jet black after 100 miles? It seems to get very bad looking quick. I have changed it about every 800 miles except for the first one at 100. I have about 1000 miles on this oil change.
No that's not cool. My oil is clean as can be after 500 miles. Is it staying full for 800 miles or are you topping it off?

Old 08-15-2008, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gerrynolan
No that's not cool. My oil is clean as can be after 500 miles. Is it staying full for 800 miles or are you topping it off?
Nope, never had to top it off. I check the window every morning since I drive so far. Its never moved. But it is literally jet black in no time. Something is going on. This pisses me off to no end. I bought a new bike so I wouldn't have to worry about this ****! This is my first Kawasaki and it is not making a good impression. For whatever reason I am obsessed with old Honda 3 wheelers. I have had at least 20. Rebuilt several, and never had trouble like this.

What about the exhaust getting red hot so quick? Come to think of it I have rode it at night two times and I never noticed that. When I cut it off, it was making that tinging sound while cooling off it was so hot.

Quick Reply: New Member with trouble!