NEW to KLX250S/Dual Sports

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 08:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Lightbulb NEW to KLX250S/Dual Sports

Hello Everyone,

I'm very new to forums as well as a new owner of a 2012 KLX250S.

I'm wanting to know as much about basic mods to increase some power as possible.

I've read a lot about Jetting, Exhaust, and Air Filters, but what about sprockets and spark?

Also really wanting to increase my tank size, but I haven't found anything that will fit a 2012 KLX250S, everything is for the older 250S, any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
HunnieToast

Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Same here. I've ridden street exclusively and this is my first experience with the dirt world. I'm not really looking into more power just yet. I'd rather get comfortable in the dirt first. I caught some air (barely) the other day and it scared the bejesus out of me.

The only thing I'd be interested in right now in terms of new parts is a slip on. Not interested in rejetting or anything (it's a 2012 with extended 4 yr warranty, don't want to risk voiding anything), so what slip on exhausts are available that don't require a rejetting?

Old 07-13-2012, 10:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Predsfan1
Same here. I've ridden street exclusively and this is my first experience with the dirt world. I'm not really looking into more power just yet. I'd rather get comfortable in the dirt first. I caught some air (barely) the other day and it scared the bejesus out of me.

The only thing I'd be interested in right now in terms of new parts is a slip on. Not interested in rejetting or anything (it's a 2012 with extended 4 yr warranty, don't want to risk voiding anything), so what slip on exhausts are available that don't require a rejetting?
pretty sure any slip on will require rejetting,it will also make a world of difference...I own a 2012 and im about 100% sure rejetting will NOT affect warranty..you will be very happy with a rejets results...FMF slip ons are quite popular, Q4 is a "quiet" exhaust.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member

My FMF Powercore4 product insert said no jetting required and I found this to be true as long as you don't mess with the intake side. as soon as you do jetting is a must.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member

ims 09+ gas tank fits 12s and power adding stops where your $$ does

Old 07-14-2012, 06:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Why don't you try this as your first mod. 49t rear sprocket and 110 chain. For the, its the best for trails.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome!
You're obviously very excited about your new purchase.
1st -ride it for awhile to feel it out and see what you really want out of the bike.
2nd - no sense in adding a pipe if you don't rejet. Bike is lean from the factory.
Get out and ride.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I agree. Just get on it and ride a bit. Mods can come later. IMS tanks will fit, got that straight from the guys who make 'em. But I love mine just the way it is. Granted, my other bike is a KTM 200, but I'm not doggin' this one either. It's a blast, and exactly the bike I hoped for when I bought it two weeks ago. Have fun!

Old 07-15-2012, 08:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I've put on about 500 miles so far and I'm using it as my daily driver, so this bike is primarily for commuting. I plan to go out on trails with it too, so I want to be sure whatever I do to the bike will be particle for both uses.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Whats the best pipe for this bike?
I heard a lot about FMF Powercore 4

Quick Reply: NEW to KLX250S/Dual Sports