New KLX250

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New KLX250

Before you jump on the hop-up bandwagon. Drive the bike for a while. Learn it, drive it daily, break it in. Then once your limit is reached, then upgrade. You don't just jump in a super-car and be the best, you need to earn it. Not to say that the KLX250 is anything like a super-car, but I think you get the point. Espect the tires to last around 2k to 3k miles before needing to be replaced.

If anything, get it dirty. Don't be afraid of the mud, get dirty, learn the control. And if anything, take it through a road course.

Enjoy and be safe.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:42 AM

As far as the sproket goes, you wont need anything other than the sprocket itself. Keep in mind
that the new sproket will look very differnt from the old one. The original part has rubber bushings
on each side that make it look much wider, all these are there for is noise reduction (as it is a road
going motorcycle) but serve no real purpose and are not transferable to the new sproket. Offroad
bikes dont have the bushings and your new sproket wont either, do big deal so dont think you got
the wrong part when you get it. I dont know where in Canada to get parts, but any cycle shop
can order Moose (I recommend this brand personally) parts, reguardless of where you are.
Good luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 04:46 AM

ORIGINAL: LearjetMinako

Before you jump on the hop-up bandwagon. Drive the bike for a while. Learn it, drive it daily, break it in. Then once your limit is reached, then upgrade. You don't just jump in a super-car and be the best, you need to earn it. Not to say that the KLX250 is anything like a super-car, but I think you get the point. Espect the tires to last around 2k to 3k miles before needing to be replaced.

If anything, get it dirty. Don't be afraid of the mud, get dirty, learn the control. And if anything, take it through a road course.

Enjoy and be safe.
I really think that re-gearing a bike is not "hopping it up" it makes it much easier for anyone wanting to ride in the dirt. You don't loose any top speed at all, in fact I gained a couple of MPH when I went to the 13t front. The bike still won't reach max RPM's with the 13 so you get more into the power when on the Hwy. It also holds it's speed better. This is a $20.00 mod that is the best bang for the buck you can do to a KLX

Old 06-06-2007, 07:41 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LearjetMinako

Enjoy and be safe.
+1

Old 06-06-2007, 06:43 PM

well to SavageKen, ya i live in Southern Ontario, far away from you. and im also looking for some fellow riders.

and i do think im going to change the gearing just because i really find the low end of the bike annoying in trails. and just likeEvildoerZX10R said, re-gearing the bike isnt hopping it up. i'll wait on the exhaust, and get more familiar with the bike before i do any other performance mods.

just one question though, when should i do my first oil change? and then how often after that? thanx

Old 06-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

congrats on the new ride!! that mound of dirt in the background looks like a good test jump[8D]

Old 06-07-2007, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I have changed my oilThree times now everytime with a new filter I did it at 160km-320km and at 480km. with the feedback I have seen on this forum when the engine is "Breaking-in" you need to change often. I think with 900km on my bike now I will follow Kawasakis Recomendations-- Every year or 12000km (Page 82 of the manual).

Ken

Old 06-07-2007, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

With as little oil as the bike holds I wouldn't stretch the oil changes to much more than 1000 miles between. I know around 900 miles shifting starts to get notchy with mine. By the end of this tank I'll have 4000 miles on it.

Harder, just how far south are you? I'm a half hour from Cornwall ON, in NY. There's a couple more guys from Ontario though, I think YYY's guy is one of them. I'd love to hook up some riders in the area. I don't know of too many in upper NY, just the 3 of you guys in Ontario but the others are a couple hours away from me.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:58 AM

i live about 40 mins south of London Ontario.....according to mapquest, im 6 hours south of Cornwall......lol so ya that's quite a drive.

and i guess im a little late on my first oil change....i'll probably do it this weekend when i have time.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I do my changes (oil and filter) every 1000km (600 miles). Excessive? When I go offroad it's worked pretty hard, I think it's cheap insurance.

Quick Reply: New KLX250