new klx owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok..DUDE
Here it is...your bike is broken in..change your oil and ride it,rev it,and enjoy it....done

Old 06-11-2012, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

No idea how anyone can keep it under 4k rpm that long. I lasted less than 3 min. on my new 2011. Funny I had the same flasher issue as you, bolt fell out and melted right flasher on exhaust. Trying to get warranty to cover it but it's more likely not installed at the factory, more of an assembly issue??? If your having fun at this point, wait until you can rev it, jet it ect...Much better than stock. I have had similliar shifting issues and find that downshifting when slowing has eliminated the false neutrals and clunking problems. Always best to have the correct gear ready in case an escape is necessary. Good luck and enjoy the freedom a DS bike gives you, I know I am...

Attached Thumbnails new klx owner-100_7932.jpg  
Old 06-11-2012, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Smile

You have made a good choice. The KLX is a great DS bike. I'll tell you my running in experience.

I bought my KLX new in Jan 2012. I was told to run it in around 5K rpm but when I first got on it I found this was not going to be enough to get it to move.lol So for a good 600mls I would not take it over 6k rpm. I found somewhere between 600mls and 800mls the bike started to loosen up nicely. I had the 1st service at 600ish mls. Since then I have used the bike a lot on and off road and I've now covered 2600ish mls. Interestingly from around 2300 onwards I have found a massive improvement in the bike. I think it's looened up even more. The throttle has got more responsive the bike feels to be producing more power, revving more freely and as best it can for a single feels smoother. I've always run the bike on good fuel and not supermarket cheap stuff.

My advice is keep riding it and stick the miles on it. I've kept mine standard but will be getting a new rear tyre at some point.

Enjoy

Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

i noticed my rear left tail light was shaking lot more than my other blinkers when i was warming up the moto....realized the screw was really loose...had to tighten all my blinker screws....i check more frequently now...

Originally Posted by ITHAPPENS
No idea how anyone can keep it under 4k rpm that long. I lasted less than 3 min. on my new 2011. Funny I had the same flasher issue as you, bolt fell out and melted right flasher on exhaust. Trying to get warranty to cover it but it's more likely not installed at the factory, more of an assembly issue??? If your having fun at this point, wait until you can rev it, jet it ect...Much better than stock. I have had similliar shifting issues and find that downshifting when slowing has eliminated the false neutrals and clunking problems. Always best to have the correct gear ready in case an escape is necessary. Good luck and enjoy the freedom a DS bike gives you, I know I am...

Old 06-11-2012, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome, change the oil now, it will help the shifting issues and it's better for the motor.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

man, its great to see so many people who knows how badass this ds world can be. I'm racking on miles as the ability to go on and off the pavement is something all dudes have in their blood somewhere....

that and from experience, every engine likes to be used...as often as possible...

ive broken in alot of fleet trucks for work and their magic numbers are usually around 2500 miles and 5000, some have drastic increases in power and sound, slowly but surely i do feel the thing catchin its grove and giving me more in return.

im really looking forward to an oil change. I'm saving the first one for the dealer (the @#$Q# manual says to....but only the first one ;-) cause i have had warranty nightmares in the past... that warranty is probably the only thing going to buy new (no wait, that reason is knowing every single mile was put on by a competent person ) but we'll see- it does need one now pretty bad.

Attached Thumbnails new klx owner-img_2010-2.jpg   new klx owner-img_2012.jpg   new klx owner-img_2018.jpg  
Old 06-11-2012, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

oh and that bag needs to go first, for a rack..... thinkin the nomad

and on a neckish type note, anyone bring a fishing pole with them? i pass alot of lakes and ponds, anybody have recommendations for something to take with? at 7 feet a normal bass rod (largemouth or striper or redfish or flounder nc is crazy....) is a little long.....anyone use any of these travel type fishing pole jams?

Last edited by skeletor; 06-11-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Let the adventure begin! Congratulations on your new bike. I got my 2012 on 3/8/12 and as of right now am 20mi. shy of 1600 miles (3mos.3days). Took the MSF basic rider course in Feb. which was the first time I had been on a motorcycle to operate it. I chose to follow the manual for the break in but I'm as green as the bike and live withing a very short distance of some great F.S. roads/trails. Got a lift stand (Motorsports P-12) for easier routine maintenance and will order a new seat later this week, following that a rack. Later I'll see about other mods. once out of warranty and or I have a bit more experience.
Thought I might be a little nuts to start this at 65, but wtf, I am smiling every time I get on the thing. Oh yea, I've had to open it up and let it rip a few times, after all it's not one of those backward trikes. Ha.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I melted my signal light too. But my mounting tab broke. After several drops and rebending the tab back to normal position may have been a factor...

Don't forget to keep an eye on your blinker fluid level!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Welcome!
Forget longest first post, probably longest post ever period. LOL. I'd have to hire a secretary to input that much info.
If you do hire a secretary make sure she looks like this.

Name:  jb_angelina_jolie05.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  74.6 KB

Welcome to the forums Skeletor, I agree with almost everything you said, and some of us old dudes wrote similar posts 5+ years ago when we first got our bikes.

As far as the break in stuff goes, that's a bunch of garbage from the manufacturer, truth is back in the 70's there was no break in period, except when you wrecked and then it was broke in. Now it's too late for your bike, but give this a read, trust me its the way we used to break in brand new V-8 motors back in the 70's and it still rings true today.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Luckily I read about this before I brought my bike home November of 05. Some will disagree, and that's ok too, but for me it really worked.

On the turn signal, how did it get melted already? Did I miss the part where you installed an after market exhaust?

Quick Reply: new klx owner