new helmet, maybe

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default new helmet, maybe

I've been looking at some helmets for quite some time now since I crash landed on mine and found this:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ll-Helmet.aspx

anyone have AFX or opinions on them? the graphics on this baby are sick!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: new helmet, maybe

Believe it or not, my girlfriend wanted to get that very same helmet, but the dealer didn't have one to fit her. It was one of those "hey look, helmets are on sale" deals. Instead, she got this one:http://www.afxhelmets.com/07/helmets/fx-87.phpin satin silver. I don't know now if there are any differences besides the color scheme, but she likes hers a lot - fits well, no hot spots, and it's very light (like 2 1/2lbs.).

Old 09-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

skulls rock[sm=crossbonesgif.gif]

Old 09-19-2007, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks mustang. I couldnt find this helmet on their website or anywhere else either that would tell me the weight of it. I really dont want a big heavy helmet so maybe i'll just take the risk and give it a go. It looks sweet.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

No experience with AFX brand but it meets Snell and DOT spec's, looks good.
Provided it fits your head correctly it should work well, the price is decent.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Has anyone ordered one of these? I just did but would like to hear if anyone got one and how they like it. Got it for$110.95 with free shipping and free goggles!

Old 09-22-2007, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 11-09-2007, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok so I finally get home from work and excited to try on this helmet. First looks its great, nice graphics very light excellent. Put it on....the cheek pads are way to tight, I probably should have gone up a size (XXL???) I chomp on my cheeks with it on DAMMIT!

Other notes, got the cyclops light and my tech 8 boots. The boots are SWEET. perfect fit, how they have to go away for christmas.

Oh and my trucks not ready....2 big disappointments coming home...but at least my wife is happy again

Old 11-09-2007, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Well that sucks! I can tell you that I had both the FX-18 and FX-87 in my hands, and they looked identical except for the paint job. With that being said, you can get replacement cheekpads in a different size from AFX. For some reason, their replacement parts page doesn't list the FX-18, but it does list the FX-87. You can get to their replacement parts here: http://www.afxhelmets.com/parts/index.php. You could also email or call them and ask if they have XXL cheekpads for the FX-18 here: http://www.afxhelmets.com/congen.php

Old 11-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stellar_d

Ok so I finally get home from work and excited to try on this helmet. First looks its great, nice graphics very light excellent. Put it on....the cheek pads are way to tight, I probably should have gone up a size (XXL???) I chomp on my cheeks with it on DAMMIT!
Hey Stellar, I thought I was the only one who had the inside of my mouth tore up. My MX helmet has loosened a bit but my Scorpion has me doing the same thing. Never try to eat a quick bite of food with your helmet on, you will regret it. That being said, if you can stand the tightness for a while they will give over time, but you don't want it too tight for sure. Remember that if a helmet is even a little loose, that can cause more injury when your head bounces inside there than the pavement could do without a helmet, or so I've been told. I still think any helmet is better than no helmet. And Mustang is right, there are replacement pads that are slightly thinner, you might try that. Good luck. I have a brand new Scorpion EXO 400 or something like that, and have only wore it a couple of times, and is really tight. I need to wear it more, I just can't bring myself to wear a road helmet on this bike. It would be like a Harley rider wearing an MX helmet, but that's just me, I guess it must be part of the OCD in me.[8D]

Quick Reply: new helmet, maybe