New guy saying hi

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Default New guy saying hi

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I wanted to do two things. First, say hi. Second, ask a question. My issue will probably be simple for anyone more mechanically inclined than me (which is probably everyone). I just bought a 2006 KLX with 3,200 miles on the clock. The bike is in very nice shape. However, it will not start or idle without the choke (even when warm) and the idle screw doesn't seem to make any difference in fixing the problem. Can anyone tell me where I should begin troubleshooting the idle spped problem. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I live in Northern Michigan so I'm looking foreward to talking bikes with everyone to get me through the winter. Thanks!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New guy saying hi

Sounds like too much air,check the boot that connects the carb to the motor or you may have some blockage in the fuel delivery dept so the choke closes the excess air off enough to keep it runnin.My .02 cents

Old 11-11-2007, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

By the way[sm=welcomesign.gif]to the family and your going to get lots of advice on this so pay attention

Old 11-11-2007, 09:47 PM

Thanks hokie01. Any and all input is appreciated..

Old 11-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

welcome....What do you know about the bike? has it been rejetted? could be junk in a carby jet... could be diaphram in carb.....

Old 11-11-2007, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi TC, Do you ride it with the choke out? Does is sputter or rev when you let the clutch out when starting off? If you need to choke it to idle, you're generally too lean, getting more air than gas. Can you pull the plug and tell us what it matches here: http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Sp...s_catalog.html Did the person you buy it from change any jets, do they live at a similar altitude as you? If the bike sat while the owner was trying to sell it, it could be as simple as bad gas, or crud in the tank clogs the petcock, something along those lines. You should check like hokie was saying, see if anything is blocked, kinked, etc... Pull the gas hose off the carb and open the petcock, it should flow steady. If it trickles, pull the petcock and clean it. You're sure there's an air filter in there?

Old 11-12-2007, 12:01 AM

Hi Guys. I'll answer to the best of my ability. The bike did sit for a while before I bought it. I think the seller mentioned that it sat for three months in storage. We both live in Michigan so shouldn't be an altitude/jetting issue. If the bike is choked (I just bought it today) it will run without sputtering but does rev high. However, as soon as I push the choke in it will stall if I don't hold the twist-grip open slightlly. The seller did not mention any re-jetting and the stock pipe is on the bike. I don't have an owners manual or Clymer manual so I think I need to get one or the other to begin some of the suggested diagnostic work. I will check gas, fuel flow, air flow, air filter and spark and report back. Thank you all for your time and effort to help me. I really appreciate it.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Oh yea.... check the idle adjust **** on the left side under the carb, sounds stupid but it might just be adjusted too low.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

WELCOME!!! TCSportI'm a newbie too btw dont ask me any questions cause Im new here heheheh. I'm pretty goofy when it comes to mechanical things BUT you can ask me about prospecting thats whatI bought the klx 250 for and for trail riding of course sheesh.
Cheers!

Old 11-12-2007, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Eric,
Welcome to the forum. In a situation like yours, it's always a good idea to start simple. Eric(EMS) could be right. Check the idle adjustment first. It might be nothing more than a low idle speed setting. If not that, you might try a little carb or fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank. If you do have a bit of varnish built up from sitting, it should still be soft and easy to remove. Ifit doesn't straighten up after a tankfull, it's time to pull the carb.Not easy the first time, but itgets easierwith practice. If you pull it off, get a welding tipcleaner to clean themainjet and more importantlyforyour problem, the low speed jet. Carb cleaner may or may not remove the crud.The only sure fire way to remove it is tocarefully runsomething through the jet. I have found the welding tip cleaners to be great for this since they come in so many sizes and have a bit of abrasive to help cut the varnish. While the carb is off, be sure to drill out the plug for the idle fuel mixture so it can beadjusted. If any of thisis Greek, simply ask. Thereis a ton ofwisdom on this forum and you'll getthe help you needto sort it out.

Goodluck
Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Quick Reply: New guy saying hi