Old 01-29-2007, 04:19 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New grips installation?!?

ORIGINAL: Notstock

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

ORIGINAL: Notstock

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I haven't actually tried it, just saw it on a TV show. Seemed to work, though.
Well sh%t brian if you saw it on tv it must be true
You know it! Only the Internet is more reliable.
especially finding girls who only want to meet you for sex
In your local area, even! Gorgeous girls, who obviously otherwise can't get a date without hooking up with strangers on the Internet. The people that pass this information along are such givers. And the stock tips, what can I say - they must really have my best interests at heart to share all that wonderful information!

Old 01-29-2007, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

oh yes such givers God bless the generous!

Old 01-29-2007, 08:40 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EvildoerZX10R

I have never had to cut my grips off. I use an air compressor with a air nozzle and they just blast off. It takes a little work getting the technique down but when you do you won't believe who ease they come off. I use it to put them back on and you can getby without using glue just make sure the bar is really clean. I have brush guards on my bike so the grips can't slide off. If I didn't have them I would use glue to play it safe. You sure don't want a grip coming off when you are hauling a$$ in the dirt.
Have you tried that on the left grip of a KLX250? I literally had to scrape every last bit offwith a razor blade. It was bonded so strongly it almost felt like part of the bar..crazy stuff. I'll tell you what, if you were successful using that method on a KLX250 LH grip, they must have changed glues. I'm talkin over-kill in over-drive.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I used the windex trick, and it worked like a charm, havnet ridden it yet but they are on there and not moving,Has anyone done anything with the raised part of the throttle tube where the stock grip went into? have you guys cut it off or something?

Old 01-30-2007, 01:17 AM

No one mentioned using safety wire on the outside to hold on the grips and avoiding the glue mess. A local jap bike shop sold me on the system when I got my new bars and grips and didn't want to muck them up with glue.

Safety wire on a spool (they sold it, in fact -- check a bike shop), and a pair of safety wire twister plyers from Harbor Freight (that was conveniently right next door) made it easy.

1. Wet the grip with a little water, and slide it on; [NOTE: the grips are different diameters for L and R side, get that straight!]
2. Cut about an 8" piece of safety wire, wrap it around the grip and pull the 2 ends to meet;
3. Thread both ends of the wire together into the wire twister tool;
4. Twist away on the tool until the wire is tight on the grip (it sinks into the grip a little) then release the tool;
5. Cut the twisty end to about 1/4 inch, then use the pliers to turn the cut tip into the grip and squeeze it in there to hide it from ever touching your hands.
6. Repeat for another wire loop around the grip. I put 3 loops on each grip -- one on each outer edge and one in the middle.

Here is a sample of the safety wire, but you don't need this huge roll (check local shop for $6 roll):
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...amp;Division=6

Here is the tool (prolly around $11, but MSR has a version for about $23 if ur spendy): http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...bCategoryName=

I like this method so far. Of course, DirtRider says to do BOTH the glue AND the safety wire: http://www.dirtrider.com/adventures/...41_0308_grips/