New in CT with new to me, 09 KLX250sf

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Default New in CT with new to me, 09 KLX250sf

New member with a new bike, I just picked this one up yesterday, 09 250sf, with Moose Racing wheels with tires that will see some gravel road fun! Apparently the dealer was having trouble selling the SF with the 17" wheels so they swapped on these wheels to give it more appeal here in Northeast CT. I plan on keeping it relatively stock for now, at least in the intake/engine/exhaust area. I'll be buying or fabricating a little rack for the back and perhaps a GPS mount up front. Can't wait for better weather to ride it, a quick jaunt up to 50mph yesterday got chilly with the 34 degree air temp.

*edit* and I think that front fender is not the stock SF fender either, right?

Old 02-27-2011, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I wonder if your gearing is stock SF gearing or was it changed to match the bigger wheel.
Weclome to the Forum!

Old 02-27-2011, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

What's up buddy - I'm in CT too.. If you ever want to do some OR'ing let me know

I'm up near Waterbury.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

"*edit* and I think that front fender is not the stock SF fender either, right? "

Congrats the bike! Looks nice.
Front fender is not the stock fender. The stock sf fender wouldn't do you any favors off road though.
Dan

Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a brand new nomadic rack that I never used cuz I didn't like the look of it.
PM me if you'd like it. It's a nice rack, I just didn't like it.
On the "no mods" thing, I would get a muffler for it, it really opens up the bike,
And if you want one that you don't need to rejet after, get the FMF powercore 4 or the Q 4. I have the powercore 4 and I like it a lot.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gravel
New member with a new bike, I just picked this one up yesterday, 09 250sf, with Moose Racing wheels with tires that will see some gravel road fun! Apparently the dealer was having trouble selling the SF with the 17" wheels so they swapped on these wheels to give it more appeal here in Northeast CT. I plan on keeping it relatively stock for now, at least in the intake/engine/exhaust area. I'll be buying or fabricating a little rack for the back and perhaps a GPS mount up front. Can't wait for better weather to ride it, a quick jaunt up to 50mph yesterday got chilly with the 34 degree air temp.

*edit* and I think that front fender is not the stock SF fender either, right?

I have the exact same bike. Yes that's a different fender.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
What's up buddy - I'm in CT too.. If you ever want to do some OR'ing let me know

I'm up near Waterbury.
Good to know, when riding weather comes, I may be swinging out that-a-way, or at least up by the Barkhamsted Reservoir etc, there must be some good dirt roads/trails/etc. out that way!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:53 AM

Worked up a quick rack for the back today, the pic makes it look much bigger than it is. It basically extends out a touch shy of the outer edge of the turn signals and back to the beginning of the tail light. I only have it mounted with one set of holes, but I will be adding a second bracket that picks up the next set of rearward holes to add some more stability.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gravel
Worked up a quick rack for the back today, the pic makes it look much bigger than it is. It basically extends out a touch shy of the outer edge of the turn signals and back to the beginning of the tail light. I only have it mounted with one set of holes, but I will be adding a second bracket that picks up the next set of rearward holes to add some more stability.

you're gonna want more connection points than that.
Look at the nomadic rack and copy the connection points to be safe, or run another tube down to the passenger pegs for a real good system.
The rack (or sub frame) will fail if you leave it like that.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by GaryC
you're gonna want more connection points than that.
Look at the nomadic rack and copy the connection points to be safe, or run another tube down to the passenger pegs for a real good system.
The rack (or sub frame) will fail if you leave it like that.
you're definitely right on that, that's why I mentioned in my post that I would be adding a second mounting point to the rear of the ones in the pic. Good idea to mount down the passenger pegs, I will be taking them off and it makes a nice.

Quick Reply: New in CT with new to me, 09 KLX250sf