New Clarke tank!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New Clarke tank!

My Clarke tank was leaking just like one of the other forum members tank was.
Sent it back to Clarke and sure enough like I didn't know it has a leak!
Well there sending me a new one this time natural in color instead of black, I can now see how much gas I have left instead of running out.
It will be here next wens.

Kevin

Old 09-14-2007, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New Clarke tank!

Mine's leaking again. Same as before, it is an extremely slow leak around the fittings. It's not leaking fast enough to puddle on the garage floor but it evaporates before it there's enough to form a puddle. There are drips forming at the low point of the fuel line. Found it by smelling gas in the garage.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hmmm my stock tank is fine Sorry I had to, but seriously, that sucks. what's causing this on the Clark Tanks? Can the fitting be tightened? What's the dealio?

Old 09-14-2007, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

It leaks from the tank mold around their brass fittings. What color is yours? Did it have the same pin holes around the fitting that the first one did? I wonder if somehow the leaking is color specific?

Kevin

Old 09-14-2007, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Both tanks have been black. It's not leaking at the connection of the brass fitting molded into the plastic and the fuel filters, so tightening/loosening the filters would have not effect on the leak.

The leak is coming from where the brass fitting joins the plastic itself. It seems that their manufacturing process is having a problem with getting a fuel-tight connection at this junction.

I too have thought that the color has something to do with it. I've only heard of the black tank leaking so far...

Old 09-14-2007, 05:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I really like the extra capacity/range that the Clarke tank offers. I did 110 miles on forest roads and trails last weekend on a single tank. Hit reserve at 105 miles.

Previously with the stock tank, I ran out of gas at less than 80 miles on mostly trails and had to pull out the extra quart to get me back to the jeep and trailer -- luckily it was enough.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree that the leak is in that area. I'm trying a new color just to see if I can get rid of this problem. I to need the extra range of the tank, I ride in very sandy conditions and with the stock tank 60 miles is pushing it.

Kevin

Old 09-14-2007, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Could you not silicone around the brass fitting to get it to stop leaking?

Old 09-14-2007, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I've tried every product out there and nothing has stopped the seeping of gas out of this area! I'm hopeful the color change will get rid of the problem, I now know what the problem is so as soon as the tank is out if the box I pretty sure if it will leak or not. Its as if the mold doesn't completely surround there brass fitting.

Kevin

Old 09-14-2007, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe the plastic of the tank is malformed during cooling because the fitting would hold the heat longer? I would think all the colors would be run in the same mold, just a matter of if the plastic is dyed before its melted, but I dunno their setup.

Quick Reply: New Clarke tank!