New to bike repairs - Questions abound!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 10:27 PM
Default New to bike repairs - Questions abound!

I've searched the forums and am still left with questions. Can you help me?

Bike: 2012 KLX250S

1 - Previous owner replaced the dash with a TrailTech Voyager. In so doing the turn signal indicator went away (and experience has shown I need one). I have an led indicator light to install but I'm not sure where to wire it to. The original dash has an indicator so I know there's a point I should pull from.

2 - I dropped my bike on the right side and dented the Radiator slightly. I'd like to replace just the bent right side of the radiator and not the whole thing. Looking at Partzilla and Bike Bandit it appears I have to get the entire radiator with both sides. Am I misinterpreting the schematics? Is there a way to purchase just the right side which is damaged?
LINK

3 - The dented radiator is now in contact with the fan so it can't spin and the fan is now warped and non-functioning. How essential is a fan? Why are fan assemblies so damn expensive? How can I trigger the fan intentionally instead of waiting for it to kick in automatically?

4 - I'm trying to buy shrouds and side panels but am confused as to which parts I need. The side panels are listed as "TCF" or "TDF". Does that mean something significant? I just want black rear panels and the black/green front. I'll gladly buy generic but can't find those.
LINK

5 - I have several stripped threads/nuts that are permanently affixed to the frame. Can I re-tap the threads or will I need some welder to remove and install new parts to the frame? One is on the right side holding in the gas tank. One is the right rear seat/shroud attachment screw. One is by the radiator

6 - I replaced a crimped reserve fuel line and while I was under the tank I noticed 4 hoses coming out of it. Main fuel, reserve fuel, and two more. One of the two others just goes nowhere. What is that for?

7 - My tach on the trail-tech stopped working during my last ride. All the connections seem sound and the wire wrap around the spark plug cable seems secure. Is there something else I should be looking at between the spark plug and the display or could there be something altogether different causing trouble?

Attached Thumbnails New to bike repairs - Questions abound!-img_6814.jpg   New to bike repairs - Questions abound!-img_7954.jpg  

Last edited by wiscal; 05-22-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

#3 Look in the FAQ in the stickies. There's info on making a fan switch. I've done it on mine and it works as advertised.

#5 I've stripped out almost all of my rear shrouds bolts. I ended up going with the helicoil solution. (Or a knockoff version) it worked well for those location. Bolts hold nice and tight. Though rust is starting to show. Probably should have coated them with something after tapping.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

#2 I have looked on ebay, and seen right and left radiators, the right sometimes including the fan, for varying prices, sometimes quite fair. I would be looking there regularly if I was in need.

#3 others know a lot more about this, but I would venture to say that the stock system should be fine, when fixed and operating correctly, for most peoples needs. One less thing to think about if you don't need to.

#6 I think the other two are connected up to your filler cap. on dirtbikes you usually have a vent hose in your cap, this is a more complicated version of that. if you look inside the tank you can see them coming up to the cap. they should( i think) just go down like an overflow tube.

I wish I knew more and could be more helpful. hopefully I'm not leading you astray on these items.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:46 PM

Thanks a lot Outrecording. The thread repair using helicoil seems like a great solution and at a reasonable price.

Originally Posted by outrecording
#3 Look in the FAQ in the stickies. There's info on making a fan switch. I've done it on mine and it works as advertised.

#5 I've stripped out almost all of my rear shrouds bolts. I ended up going with the helicoil solution. (Or a knockoff version) it worked well for those location. Bolts hold nice and tight. Though rust is starting to show. Probably should have coated them with something after tapping.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:49 PM

Thanks xcrcarpenter. You provided some great insight. I never think to turn to ebay but am realizing that's a great option for the occasional random part. I'll see what I can come up with. Expect some more questions regarding "how do I repair/replace a radiator" once I get my hands on a new part.

Originally Posted by xcrcarpenter
#2 I have looked on ebay, and seen right and left radiators, the right sometimes including the fan, for varying prices, sometimes quite fair. I would be looking there regularly if I was in need.

#3 others know a lot more about this, but I would venture to say that the stock system should be fine, when fixed and operating correctly, for most peoples needs. One less thing to think about if you don't need to.

#6 I think the other two are connected up to your filler cap. on dirtbikes you usually have a vent hose in your cap, this is a more complicated version of that. if you look inside the tank you can see them coming up to the cap. they should( i think) just go down like an overflow tube.

I wish I knew more and could be more helpful. hopefully I'm not leading you astray on these items.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wiscal
I've searched the forums and am still left with questions. Can you help me?

Bike: 2012 KLX250S

1 - Previous owner replaced the dash with a TrailTech Voyager. In so doing the turn signal indicator went away (and experience has shown I need one). I have an led indicator light to install but I'm not sure where to wire it to. The original dash has an indicator so I know there's a point I should pull from.

2 - I dropped my bike on the right side and dented the Radiator slightly. I'd like to replace just the bent right side of the radiator and not the whole thing. Looking at Partzilla and Bike Bandit it appears I have to get the entire radiator with both sides. Am I misinterpreting the schematics? Is there a way to purchase just the right side which is damaged?
LINK

3 - The dented radiator is now in contact with the fan so it can't spin and the fan is now warped and non-functioning. How essential is a fan? Why are fan assemblies so damn expensive? How can I trigger the fan intentionally instead of waiting for it to kick in automatically?

4 - I'm trying to buy shrouds and side panels but am confused as to which parts I need. The side panels are listed as "TCF" or "TDF". Does that mean something significant? I just want black rear panels and the black/green front. I'll gladly buy generic but can't find those.
LINK

5 - I have several stripped threads/nuts that are permanently affixed to the frame. Can I re-tap the threads or will I need some welder to remove and install new parts to the frame? One is on the right side holding in the gas tank. One is the right rear seat/shroud attachment screw. One is by the radiator

6 - I replaced a crimped reserve fuel line and while I was under the tank I noticed 4 hoses coming out of it. Main fuel, reserve fuel, and two more. One of the two others just goes nowhere. What is that for?

7 - My tach on the trail-tech stopped working during my last ride. All the connections seem sound and the wire wrap around the spark plug cable seems secure. Is there something else I should be looking at between the spark plug and the display or could there be something altogether different causing trouble?
1 - I use a trail tech vapor and got the dash unit with neutral, signal, overheat and high-beam indicator lamps. Can you find the original wires for these lamps and tap into one for the signal indicator?

7 - I don't know why it quit working. That's strange. There is a better way on the KLX to do this though as there is a wire that fed rpm to the stock cluster and this wire should be used for the trail-tech unit. I think mine was brown?

Old 05-23-2017, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I would just drill and tap the frame screws to a larger size. Helicoils from my experience are kinda touchy and prone to problems. If they are in thin metal and something that needs to be in and out a lot, it just doesn't work that reliable.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I have both radiator halves and fans from a crashed '09 bike for sale. PM me if you are interested.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:50 PM

I spoke with Trailtech to inquire about the capabilities of the Voyager. Unfortunately it doesn't have signal, neutral, or high-beam indicator. Apparently the Voyager was intended primarily for off-road use. Knowing all of those wires are available I'll just need to track them down.

Thank!

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
1 - I use a trail tech vapor and got the dash unit with neutral, signal, overheat and high-beam indicator lamps. Can you find the original wires for these lamps and tap into one for the signal indicator?

7 - I don't know why it quit working. That's strange. There is a better way on the KLX to do this though as there is a wire that fed rpm to the stock cluster and this wire should be used for the trail-tech unit. I think mine was brown?

Old 05-24-2017, 09:55 PM

Drilling and tapping a larger hole was my original plan but then I ended up opting for the helicoil solution. If this fails then I always have the fallback of drilling it out with larger. I'd like to avoid having mix and match screws across the bike.

Originally Posted by durielk
I would just drill and tap the frame screws to a larger size. Helicoils from my experience are kinda touchy and prone to problems. If they are in thin metal and something that needs to be in and out a lot, it just doesn't work that reliable.

Quick Reply: New to bike repairs - Questions abound!