New Bike: Knocking noise or Paranoia?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
That would be my guess, too. And, don't waste your money buying high Octane. This is NOT a high-performance, high-compression engine. You gain NOTHING by running high octane fuel in it, and, depending upon what is being use to boost the Octane rating, you could actually be increasing deposit formation in your combustion chamber. Google Octane and read up on it if you have doubts.

Hope you find the source of the knock and it's an easy fix (Krieger Manual Cam Chain tensioner...hint, hint )
Unless you increase your compression via the 351, correct?

Old 03-27-2012, 03:05 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
Unless you increase your compression via the 351, correct?
I don't know. I talked to Bill Blue over a year ago, and he claimed his kit will run 87 octane, and that it's what he runs in his bike...at least at that time. My factory 300 cylinder runs at 11:1 if I recall, and the 351 is 12:1. That's not usually an absolute requirement for premium fuel as long as the combustion chamber design is up to the task. Our 4-valve head and cam timing is pretty good at controlling detonation.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I still like the R's idea. 4k rpm in 3rd gear sounds like the ride is being lugged around.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the OP stated the problem occured at 5500 rpm's which is where the cam chain noise lives, and long past the point of predetonation on these machines.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

my guess...trying to baby the engine too much and trying to keep the rpm low by changing gears too soon....i know my klx250sf does not like to stay at the lower rpm range unless it's in neutral...engine will rattle and struggle for power...

2nd guess would be the chain tensioner as other mentioned...

Old 03-28-2012, 01:42 AM

I must say i'm very greatful for the insite i've recieved so far! But just to clear up some points here, the noise does in fact occur after I shift into 3rd (and gears after) but only when the engine starts hitting about 5.5K RPMs and up.

As far as babying the engine, I don't shift early or deliberately lug the engine. I do infact realize when my bike is lugging. As I stated, I TRY to adhere to the recommendation in my manual about the break-in period, but it simply can't always be done, but I do try to not put too much stress on my engine... Yet...

As far as the octane thing, I was just following some advice out of the manual about knocking noise, it hasn't fixed it obviously.

I suppose what I need is a dyno and an engine stethoscope...

Last edited by digital21; 03-28-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by digital21
I must say i'm very greatful for the insite i've recieved so far! But just to clear up some points here, the noise does in fact occur after I shift into 3rd (and gears after) but only when the engine starts hitting about 5.5K RPMs and up.

As far as babying the engine, I don't shift early or deliberately lug the engine. I do infact realize when my bike is lugging. As I stated, I TRY to adhere to the recommendation in my manual about the break-in period, but it simply can't always be done, but I do try to not put too much stress on my engine... Yet...

As far as the octane thing, I was just following some advice out of the manual about knocking noise, it hasn't fixed it obviously.

I suppose what I need is a dyno and an engine stethoscope...
I'm opening this up to a big argument, but the research that I have done contradicts what the KLX manual says to do as far as the break in period.

If you ride it like a girl, the rings will seat like a girl. I have a much more derogatory analogy but I will pass up on the opportunity to use it.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Order this kriegercamchaintensioners.com Call Mark he is a really nice guy. And quit babying that bike, maybe she needs a good run through gears to get that stock tensioner to adjust itself.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
I'm opening this up to a big argument, but the research that I have done contradicts what the KLX manual says to do as far as the break in period.

If you ride it like a girl, the rings will seat like a girl. I have a much more derogatory analogy but I will pass up on the opportunity to use it.
No argument here.

First thing that happening when i get my 331 kit installed is a nice blast down the backroads. Best thing to seat new rings is some pretty hard on/off throttle action. gotta load and unload the rings a much as possible in the first 20 miles or so before the bore glaze sets in.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

At 5-6k only? Camchain. I bet it sounds more like a rattle than a knock.

Quick Reply: New Bike: Knocking noise or Paranoia?