New bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New bike

ORIGINAL: JB1

So what is the correct method to adjust the shocks?
I read the manual and it doesnt say which way to turn.
Do you screw it in all the way then back it out?

Im 220Lbs and I would like to stiffen them up a bit (both front and rear)

Yes, screw them all the way in to get them seated, then back them out. I set mine to four turns out soI dont bottom outon a small/med jumps, and I'm 180 LBS.

You might want to start there, and stiffen them up after you ride for a while if you think you need to. I just did it trial and error....

FYI, my rear shock dampening force adjusters are set to7 turns out for"Rebound"and 8 turns out for "Compression". Both of which are also about 1/2 of the factory settings.

Hope that helps...

Old 01-07-2007, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

hey Dirt are those "dirt plugs" any thing like these bolts at the bottom of my forks(this is a pic of my GT MTB forks)and yes if you were going to ask that is a disk brake caliper
Name:  DSC00095.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  110.0 KB
ORIGINAL: DirtSurfer

Remember, you can also adjust your front forks at the bottom once you pop out those dirt plugs temporarly to get to the adjustment screws.

I have mine set at 4 (4 turns to counter clockwise from fully seated) and they seem pretty good.

I think the factory setting is 8 although I've read that some folks have seen them set even higher on inspection which would be REALLY SQUISHY!!![][]

Old 01-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Ok I have a question. And the book that came with our bikes is poorly written, so I am going to ask here. How would one go about setting it for the max? I can't even remember what I did in the beginning.Do I runthem all the way in and leave them that way for max? Or do I run them all the way in and then all the way out? Usually in the stuff I have dealt with screwing a valve in increases the pressure andthus in our case would produce the stiffest setting. Any thoughts?Also don't forget to bleed out the air once in a while by jacking the bike up and opening the top screws.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:33 AM
1st Gear Member

FYI - I've added a new sheet to the "Mods & Jets" spreadsheet for suspension settings. Its still in its development stages, but since we're already talking about it, I think I'll start a new topic now and post a new link to it.

Mike

Old 01-08-2007, 06:42 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rusty FJ

hey Dirt are those "dirt plugs" any thing like these bolts at the bottom of my forks(this is a pic of my GT MTB forks)and yes if you were going to ask that is a disk brake caliper

ORIGINAL: DirtSurfer

Remember, you can also adjust your front forks at the bottom once you pop out those dirt plugs temporarly to get to the adjustment screws.

I have mine set at 4 (4 turns to counter clockwise from fully seated) and they seem pretty good.

I think the factory setting is 8 although I've read that some folks have seen them set even higher on inspection which would be REALLY SQUISHY!!![][]

Not exactly. The "dirt plugs" I was referring to on our KLX 250s are actually little rubber plugs that are internally inserted into the access hole where the adjustment screws are at the bottom of the forks. I called them "dirt plugs" since they plug up the access hole and keep the dirt and muck out.

You need to pop them off first, then adjust the screws. I would guess (don't know for sure sinceI never owned a GT MTB) that looks like its probably the same mechanical principal.

Hope that helps...

Old 01-08-2007, 06:51 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Ok I have a question. And the book that came with our bikes is poorly written, so I am going to ask here. How would one go about setting it for the max? I can't even remember what I did in the beginning.Do I runthem all the way in and leave them that way for max? Or do I run them all the way in and then all the way out? Usually in the stuff I have dealt with screwing a valve in increases the pressure andthus in our case would produce the stiffest setting. Any thoughts?Also don't forget to bleed out the air once in a while by jacking the bike up and opening the top screws.
Deej,

If you want them really stiff ie letting very little air/fork oil??(not sure which -I've never personally pulled forks appart, I take them to the shop at that point..)out during compression then you will want to have them closer to being fully seated since that would allow less air/oil to escape during pressurization.

I don't know if there is an automatic amount of air/oil that will always escape if your were to fully seat the set screw, so I would not recommend doing that, but certainly you could play with different settings that are less turns from fully seated until you get you the degree of compression you want.

I would guess if you get down to 2 or one, and it still feels squishy to you, you may have to upgrade springs or forks which I think a few folks have already done as I recall.

Hope that helps...

Old 01-08-2007, 07:07 AM
1st Gear Member

What are you trying to say?

Old 01-08-2007, 07:18 AM
1st Gear Member

LOL...

er..aaaa...ummm... I think I'm referring to your need to jump supermotocross of course, which includes the need to land doubles and tripples without bottoming out....[sm=innoc.gif]

Old 01-08-2007, 08:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I mean it not like I couldn't stand to loose 10....or 50 lbs