new to all this

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Smile new to all this

Never been on a forum. Purchased a 2010 klx 250 s out of the crate. I have 77 miles, I was looking for some of the vendors of the rear fender racks I saw on some of the members bikes. Also realistic break in. I have some KLR friends, but wanted a lighter bike for more trails. They have some recomendations, and was just curious about overall on the bike. Really like mine, and feel it was a good purchase.

Rear fender rack, magnetic oil plug, rejetting the carb for cold weather starting, those items are what i am interested in if anyone has feedback.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up Welcome.

Welcome TD. Have a look around and check out the FAQ sticky thread on the top of the page. Plenty of answers to your questions. Have fun out there, that's what it's all about.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Default whats a sticky thread

also new to forums, looking for the sticky thread, but thanks. Never used a forum either.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome TD.
The vast number of threads here can be daunting. The FAQ sticky is always one the first six on the front main page of the 250KLX forum:
KLX 250S - Kawasaki Forums

one is called:
Sticky: ***an updated faq, ride reports, quick links & good all around noob information***

within this thread is a link to another very good one:
(NEW) KLX250s FAQ and links

ride on

Old 06-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you aboard.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:42 AM
Default Thanks

I saw that thermo bob, my friend put that on his klr 650. Looks like another good addition. not sure how you guys put those pictures in but I got one to include

Attached Thumbnails new to all this-060411_klx_mc.jpg  
Old 06-08-2011, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

One good way to check out things is to read everyone's signature lines to see what they're doing to their KLX's. There's a whole world of possibilities and options out there.

Me, I have a rack from TCI that bolts to several points on the frame, including the pax foot peg mounts and is very solid. It can carry a top box and side bags (I use Pelican hard cases on the sides when it's mounted, not soft bags). Right now I'm running rack-less to test various commuting configurations, though.

My odo will turn over 1,000 miles on my '09 KLX250S this week and I like it better every day. You made a good purchase.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new bike! There are a quite a few Washingtonians on the board.
Dan

Old 06-08-2011, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Turbo_Diesel: "Rear fender rack, magnetic oil plug, rejetting the carb for cold weather starting"
----------------
I got a welded tubular steel rack with powder-coated black finish from an e-bay store called Nomadic for $100. The fit & finish is excellent.
No experience with a magnetic oil pan plug on a KLX but I once had a '73 CB750 with one. The magnet never collected a shred of metal which I believe is testament to the precision of Japanese motorcycle engines. IMO, a magnetic plug is unnecessary but still probably cheap enough insurance if you are inclined.
KLX's are notoriously cold blooded and you'll find quite a bit of info here about drilling out your carb's enricher jet with a 0.018" (#77) drill bit to resolve this. I can attest that it works! If you're caught out before you get to this modification however, I found that the choke has a 'sweet spot' just before it clicks at full engagement. Before drilling my enricher (something I did when I had the carb off to rejet for a Two Bros pipe anyway) I could always get the bike started without issue, even in -10C.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member

TD, are you near Spokane? I am about 70 miles from there.

Quick Reply: new to all this