Need an opinion from a former KDX220/current KLX250 rider

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Default Need an opinion from a former KDX220/current KLX250 rider

Here's the story. I'm now riding an '03 KDX220 that's been modded save for bumping upthe cylinder. I use it mostly for northeast turkey runs (basicly a non-timed, non-scored enduro). I would like to get a KLX250 but would like to know how they compare...power, suspension, reliability, etc. I've read all the information on the 250 and will probably do all the engine and chassis mods. I would also ditch the blinkers and intruments (put on my own ICO or Trailtech). They're not needed for the riding I do...it's not gonna be used on the street. But we do use the streets to get from one section to another (a deal is made with the cops) so it's got to be plateable. The 400's a little too much to wrestle with in the tight woods and the 300 dosen't have electric start (when you get up in years it sure is handy). So it would seem that the 250 would be a good replacement for the 220 if it can measure up. A KLX300S would be perfect.Plus 2 strokes haven't been in very good favor lately. Well that's it. Is it possible...or should I just run the 220 into the ground then look for something else? Thanks. RS

Old 12-08-2007, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Need an opinion from a former KDX220/current KLX250 rider

Get ahold of lcpl0331. I believe he owns both bikes. I would think that the KDXhas a lot morepower...epsecially mid-to-top end. I mean when you have two bikes of similar displacement and one (the KDX) is making power every other stroke there should be no comparison in that department.

As far a off-road ability goes, I have no idea.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

the klx will be fine after about 1500 dollars ( pipe, 300cc or more cylinder upgrade, suspension rework, carb)

Old 12-09-2007, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zeerx
A KLX300S would be perfect.
It can be made, just bolt on the 300 cylinder & piston.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Run the KDX220 into the ground. The KLX250 is not going to make the same power as the KDX. KLX is good forthe low-end torque, KDX is good for the middle to the top-end range.

Yes, the KLX250 can be made into a 300. Simple Piston & Sleeve swap.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:04 AM
IG

ORIGINAL: dmar

the klx will be fine after about 1500 dollars ( pipe, 300cc or more cylinder upgrade, suspension rework, carb)
still though, even after that you're only going to be getting around 25 horse to the rear wheel. I bet astock 220Ris easily making35-38 rwhp, it just won't be a contest no matter how you cut it. the only thing you'll gain is the plate. the chassis' are identical so they will both handle very similarly except the KLX has inverted front forks, but even so they are very soft for anyone over 150lbs. plus, the KDX's are tuned for low-end grunt so even being a 2-stroke it won't be like a MX'er 2-stroke. the e-start thing though is quite a selling point in my book though. maintenance on the KDX will be tons easier as well. the KLX is also a bear to start sometimes and the timing chain tensioner has proven to have problems intermittently. tit for tat, but the KDX will kill the KLX, even with $1500-$2000 of mods to it not to mention it's about 50 or so pounds lighter give or take.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

the low end is not as weak as you'd think. the low end is very useable for when you need it. you can chug the kdxwithout stalling. the power is very linear compared to a motorcross 2 stroke. there is a hit in the poweband but it'snowhere near what you would find on say a cr or kx 2stroke.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member

to get back to your original question.there is a huge lose of power going from the kdx to the klx. a lot of it depends on the riders skill level. for me the klx is an easier bike to ride fast. the motor doesn't spin up as fast so i don't get myself into trouble nearly as much. on the kdx i would grab too much throttle at the wrong time and end up going over the bars or hitting something. with the klx i can grab all the throttle i want whenever i want and i'm still able to stay in control. also i like the engine braking that i get with the 4 stroke.

if your a high level ride you won't like the klx. if your like me and just like to trail ride and do the dual sport rides the klx is a very good bike. i did 5 dual sport and turkey runs this year from new hampshire to new jersey(twice) and did not come across any trail that i couldn't do.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:03 PM
IG

ORIGINAL: lcpl0331

the low end is not as weak as you'd think. the low end is very useable for when you need it. you can chug the kdxwithout stalling. the power is very linear compared to a motorcross 2 stroke. there is a hit in the poweband but it'snowhere near what you would find on say a cr or kx 2stroke.
that's because it's tuned for the woods where MX bikes are tuned for wide open throttle higher rpm power. also, that is why the KDX 200, 220 make about as much power as a 125 MX'er but lots more torque, and that's what you need in the trails and hills. the 220 has a smaller carb than it's 200 brother and that's for a reason- torque. the 220 was designed to be a torque monster and lugged around,hence it's smaller carb bore. here's some interesting reading on that topic. the 220 and 200 are bikes that really don't get as much appreciation as they deserve and if I had to buy a trail bike only, it'd be one of these without question.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/printthread.php?t=75254

Old 12-09-2007, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I traded in my KDX 200 for the KLX 250 a couple of months ago for the sole purpose of being street legal. I'll never ride it on the street, so I'm tearing off everything I can. I've only gotten to ride the KLX a couple of times. It's very frustrating to go from the KDX to a stock KLX. There is no power to get the front wheel off the ground, which is dangerous is if you're used to having that and it's not there when you need it. I weigh 150/155 and without touching the stock suspension setup, it handled pretty well for me. The front is very soft, so if I can't get it dialed in I think I've seen where some people are using KX forks...so that may be an option. I think with about $1,500 worth of modifications some of the potential can be realized and it will be a fun bike to ride.

Quick Reply: Need an opinion from a former KDX220/current KLX250 rider