Need help removing front sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Need help removing front sprocket

New board member here... been around motorcycle a long time but this is my first dual sport! Really enjoying it so far I was going to install a 13t sprocket and can't for the life of me seem to get the original one off

I know that the lock washer must be flattened out first so I've done that. I tried a 3 foot breaker bar and that would not get it. Went and bought an electric 1/2" impact gun and it still wont' budge! I've had problems with front sprockets in the past but used to have a pneumatic impact gun and that always did the trick. These electric ones don't seem to have enough "oomph" Don't have it anymore though so I"m out of ideas

Old 03-04-2012, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

lawdog,
are you able to keep the rear wheel from turning?

I shy away from the impact wrench based on warnings from others. Some say it doesn't matter.

I use a deep socket as large as possible through a hole in the rear sprocket locked against the swing arm, then wrench away with the long breaker bar. I had to stand on it the first time, I think. First time off is a biotch. Some guys used a little heat from torch on it. I didn't. Put a little tranny fluid on threads on install.

Try tightening it a little first, then loosen. My mechanic brother taught me that for really tight ones.

Good luck.

oh, WELCOME to the forum!

Old 03-04-2012, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

It will come off with a good air impact or your breakover bar method, I think I had the bike in gear with someone holding the rear break as well as a piece of wood stuck in the spokes and it finally let go.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

This has been a topic before with great debate. I must have been one of the lucky one's when I did mine. The manual says to step on the rear brake and lean over with a breaker bar and break it loose. That's what I did with almost no effort at all. It's only held on with I think 92 ft lbs of torque so I don't understand why it's so hard to come off for some people. Maybe mine came of easy becasue my bike has very little time off road and never been in the rain.

Do a search here and you will see alot of good ideas and a lot of wacky idea's to get it off. For me, I would never use an impact on the output shaft, but that's just me.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Propane torch, carefully apply heat to nut, wait a minute or two. Remove nut. I was able to remove the nut with a crappy chinese 18v impact. Avoid using spokes for leverage, try using the rear sprocket as a leverage point.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with Green Machine about the impact. An air impact might be a bit much. My cordless is so weak I did not think it could do any harm. I have since purchased a nice breaker bar.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
Propane torch, carefully apply heat to nut, wait a minute or two. Remove nut. I was able to remove the nut with a crappy chinese 18v impact. Avoid using spokes for leverage, try using the rear sprocket as a leverage point.
That's a good point. Do not use spokes, use sprocket. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Holding the rear brake tightly and leaning by body across the bike I can still spin teh rear wheel with the breaker bar. I even tried sitting on teh bike, holding the rear brake adn pushing on the bar with my left arm, while at the same time having my wife pull on the bar as hard as she could and no luck. I see no reason you can not use an impact gun on it (always have in the past on bikes) but I would never do it unless the bike is in neutral... my .02

The impact gun doesn't spin the rear wheel, even in neutral. It just beats on the nut but it's not breaking loose. I really would rather not use the "heat method" if I can avoid it as I have run cords along the frame for quick connect to the battery and for a 12 volt outlet and I"d hate to melt them. Oh, the bike only has 500 miles so it's not seized up from age or anything like that. On sportbikes, I always put the front wheel in a Baxley chock, sat on the bike to put weight on the rear wheel and used the impact gun. Never had one that wouldn't come off (at least with my old pneumatic)

Old 03-04-2012, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm sure they mean to just heat the sprocket nut up enough to soften up the locktite used on the sprocket shaft. Not trying to heat it up enough to fry the countershaft seal behind.

I wouldn't try using the spokes either. I tried putting a wrench inbetween the sprocket and chain, spun it right around.

I ended up using the rear brake & the handle on my floor jack over my 1/2" drive ratchet, longer more leverage than the breaker bar in the tool box. The snap on pnuematic impact wouldn't budge it.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

With only 92ft lbs of torque you'd think it would come right off?
PB Blaster???

Quick Reply: Need help removing front sprocket