Need help deciding guys!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up Need help deciding guys!

So I have a dilemma and need you guys to help.

I've read the 06/07 vs 09/up KLX250s threads and I know the differences but my situation is unique.

I've got an offer to trade my DRZ for the following bikes and don't know which to choose.

06' KLX250s with 2907 miles, just about brand new, HMF exhaust, jetted, new tires(dunlop606) - 4 hours to drive and get it
09' KLX250s with 4023 miles, fairly used(broken plastics), FMF exhaust jetted, skid plate, rear rack, bark busters - 8 hours to drive and get it.

I like the idea of the extra suspension travel and lighter weight of the 06 but I would get a bike closer to my dollar on the 09'

I need help deciding which I should trade for, I do 50/50 trail to road driving, I weigh 155lbs and I'm 6'0 tall.

My head is telling me to go for the 09 just because it's newer but I believe the 06(less miles than the 09) will "fit" me better.

Hope you guys have some valid points for both

Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Not sure you can go wrong with either one. Both of them there will probably be personal things that you will want to do to your bike to make it the way you like it.

Which bike in its current state is closest to how you would set up your bike from stock? Do you plan to keeping it long term or not?

Old 11-19-2012, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Unless the DRZ is too tall, I would keep it.
The weight difference is negligible between the 06, 07 and the 09+.
I like my 09. But the 06 sounds like a better deal with less miles and no broken plastic.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Only about 1000 miles difference, and the '09 is beat more than the '06?

I'm a fan of the older model because I like the looks better and think it may be a little more trail worthy (but not a whole lot more). The weight difference isn't much.

The HMF exhaust is likely louder than the FMF. I know, I just replaced the HMF performance with an FMF Q4.

Plastics are not cheap.

EDIT: Have you been on and ridden a KLX250 yet? I'm just a bit over 6' with 34" inseam, and I found that the Guts Racing tall seat made a world of comfort difference for me. I felt squished when riding close to the tank on the stock seat and just hated it. The GR tall seat is available for '06/07 but not newer models.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 11-19-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Landon
Not sure you can go wrong with either one. Both of them there will probably be personal things that you will want to do to your bike to make it the way you like it.

Which bike in its current state is closest to how you would set up your bike from stock? Do you plan to keeping it long term or not?
Long term plans, the 06 is closer, I would save around 200 just in gas from picking it up. I like the looks of the 09 more but I don't like the idea of less suspension travel, shorter handlebars, etc... but that front light sure does look mean

Originally Posted by cmott426
Unless the DRZ is too tall, I would keep it.
The weight difference is negligible between the 06, 07 and the 09+.
I like my 09. But the 06 sounds like a better deal with less miles and no broken plastic.
The drz is too tall, wears it's weight high, and a bit too much bike for me in general. Love the bike on the street but I have a hard time throwing it around on the tight little trails by my house.

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Only about 1000 miles difference, and the '09 is beat more than the '06?

I'm a fan of the older model because I like the looks better and think it may be a little more trail worthy (but not a whole lot more). The weight difference isn't much.

The HMF exhaust is likely louder than the FMF. I know, I just replaced the HMF performance with an FMF Q4.

Plastics are not cheap.
Yeah I'm wondering how much louder the HMF is going to be, both are slip on's and I was thinking of going with a full exhaust later anyway. The 09 has some broken plastics, scratches, but I was okay with that until I saw the condition of the 06, it looks new with the exception of a few very minor scrapes scratches on the engine casing(the 09 has those as well).

I will be commuting with the bike, so a comfortable seat will be a big deal (the drz did not have that even with an aftermarket cover). I know the design is different but what about comfort levels between the 06 and 09?

Thanks for your replies guys!

Old 11-19-2012, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking pictures

Here is the 06, it seems to be in great shape, needs a new chain but that seems to be it, and as stated 2907 miles. I think its in immaculate shape for an 06, but could use some more input.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pauls2ndblessing
Long term plans, the 06 is closer, I would save around 200 just in gas from picking it up. I like the looks of the 09 more but I don't like the idea of less suspension travel, shorter handlebars, etc... but that front light sure does look mean

The drz is too tall, wears it's weight high, and a bit too much bike for me in general. Love the bike on the street but I have a hard time throwing it around on the tight little trails by my house.

Yeah I'm wondering how much louder the HMF is going to be, both are slip on's and I was thinking of going with a full exhaust later anyway. The 09 has some broken plastics, scratches, but I was okay with that until I saw the condition of the 06, it looks new with the exception of a few very minor scrapes scratches on the engine casing(the 09 has those as well).

I will be commuting with the bike, so a comfortable seat will be a big deal (the drz did not have that even with an aftermarket cover). I know the design is different but what about comfort levels between the 06 and 09?

Thanks for your replies guys!
Unless you are beating it hard, I'm guessing that you'll notice little difference between suspension travel differences. A lot of us upgrade handlebars and/or install risers so that's probably a minor issue.

For long ride commuting and improved comfort, you may wind up with an aftermarket seat on either model, so that probably washes. The stock seats on both models are often referred to as 2x4's.

Haven't ridden a '09+ so cannot comment on comfort differences between the two models.

6th gear in the older model is taller than on the newer models, which could play in your decision especially for commuting use.

edit: that's a very clean looking '06. It even has some additional lighting. DO NOT leave the kickstand down when strapping down tight for transport on a trailer or pickup bed. And that HMF can is different than mine.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 11-19-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Is this a straight up trade? I think the DRZ is worth more than either KLX. From the looks of the pictures I would go with the 06.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member

But on the other hand since you said the DRZ was too tall, the 09 might work better for you. They are one inch shorter. I went from a WR426 to the KLX. With the lower seat High the KLX is way better in the tight stuff.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Unless you are beating it hard, I'm guessing that you'll notice little difference between suspension travel differences. A lot of us upgrade handlebars and/or install risers so that's probably a minor issue.

For long ride commuting and improved comfort, you may wind up with an aftermarket seat on either model, so that probably washes. The stock seats on both models are often referred to as 2x4's.

Haven't ridden a '09+ so cannot comment on comfort differences between the two models.

6th gear in the older model is taller than on the newer models, which could play in your decision especially for commuting use.

edit: that's a very clean looking '06. It even has some additional lighting. DO NOT leave the kickstand down when strapping down tight for transport on a trailer or pickup bed. And that HMF can is different than mine.
Thanks for the replies, in general the 06 "looks" like its in better condition aesthetically, mechanically I believe both have been taken care of pretty well.

Is this a straight up trade? I think the DRZ is worth more than either KLX. From the looks of the pictures I would go with the 06.
The drz is worth more than the 06 but not the 09 but I'm sticking with the bike for the long haul so I'm not worried about resale.

But on the other hand since you said the DRZ was too tall, the 09 might work better for you. They are one inch shorter. I went from a WR426 to the KLX. With the lower seat High the KLX is way better in the tight stuff.
Spec wise the 06 says the seat height is 34.8 and 09 says 35"? So I was assuming they'd both be about the same height.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding guys!