Need a cold-weather jacket

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Need a cold-weather jacket

Sorry to hear you guys are still having to do cold weather riding - drag!

Name:  AL2R_Brownie-Brown-1631.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  17.8 KB

You can also use it when you try and summit Mt. Rainier on the KLX!

Old 04-19-2008, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I found the key isn't so much warmth but cutting the wind(which you probably already know). I used to wear an older Nike ACG jacket when I rode my street bike year round. It was set up to accept a fleece liner which I didn't have but it cut almost all wind. One of the warmest jackets that I have owned.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd give a follow-up. After a lot of research, I finally decided on a Fieldsheer Aqua Tour jacket:

I got it for $125.99 from www.motorcycle-superstore.com. After comparing this jacket toother Fieldsheerand Firstgearjackets, the only real difference was the number of pockets and the material. This jacket is made of 600 Denier nylon, while the Highland is made of 660.

The Aqua Tour has 7 pockets in front, one large pocket across the back,2 inside cargo pockets and 1 inside cell phone pocket. More than enough for me. It has the same Thermo Pilot liner that the more expensive jackets have, and it's both wind and waterproof.

I normally wear a large,so I took a chance andordered this jacket in large too. It fits snug, but not too tight. If I were to wear a jacket underneath, it would be too tight. It has removeable armor in the elbows, shoulders and back. Taking the armor out makes the jacket a little looser, but frankly, I don't even notice that it's in there. You can straighten your arms out and never feel it.

Everything about this jacket is over-built. The velcro enclosures are tough to open because they stick so well. The cargo pockets have both velcro and a zipper, which is kind of a pain. The zippersare plastic, but the teeth are almost 1/4" wide. The liner zips out and can be worn by itself, so you coulduse this jacket year-round.

This morning, I really got to test it out. It was 34 degreesat my house, and29 degrees at work. All I had on underneath the jacket was a short-sleeved polo shirt. My commute is 15 miles one way, with some stretches of 60 MPH. It was the best buck and a quarter I've spent on riding gear! Nice and toasty the whole way, but I never broke a sweat, even at the stoplights. Remember, I don't take cold well, and this jacket kept me warm. All-in-all, I'm very pleased and recommend this jacket.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

check the clearances at newenough.com also

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/t...le_jacket.html