Need a cold-weather jacket

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Need a cold-weather jacket

Since I don't want totake out a loanto finance my truck's next tank of gas, I'm going to be riding to work A LOT more. This morning it was 37 degrees, and I quickly realized that I don't have enough clothes. I have MSR Pak Pants, which work really well for keeping out wind and water, but my MSR Trail Jacket has lost it's wind and water "proofness". I wore a fleece jacket underneath it this morning, but that's a pain in the nads.

I'm a real puss when it comes to cold, so I need a warm jacket. Waterproof would be nice, but windproof is a must. A quick search turned up a Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket...

... and a Fieldsheer Highland jacket.

Anybody have any experience with either of these? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 04-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Need a cold-weather jacket

Hey Mustang, here is what I have, and I gotta tell you its awesome for cold, (I ride in 20 degree temps sometimes) and for rain? well we get our share here (120 inches a year) it is great.

Great jacket price!!

I paid $179.00 at the bike shop, but I see its a lot less at that site. Lots of storage pockets, it really is a great Dual Sport Jacket. I know that there are a lot of lighter and cheaper options out there, but with built in elbow, shoulder and back armor along with all the storage, I rate this jacket high up on the list.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I’m pretty happy with this one, it was 33 yesterday morning on my ride to work

Old 04-18-2008, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I commute on my Versys, 28 miles each way, mostly 55 MPH back roads and highway. I own the Highland SUIT and Killi Jacket. Both ROCK in the cold. In temps below 30 a heated jacket helps a ton too, but you will not be disapointed with the Killi jacket at all.

If you want to save a few bucks, keep what you have and just add a heated jacket, the KLX can run a heated jacket with no problem and you will be amazed with the warmth you will have.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Heated jacket???? Do you still like girls? [8D][8D][8D]LOL just messing man. I would love to have a heated jacket. I installed heated grips on the wife's bike, and anytime I ride it I spoil myself taking advantage of them. How long does the jacket take to heat up. The grips take a couple of minutes.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks a lot guys! My commute is around 15 miles. The Highland suit looks great, but at 300 bones, it'll have to wait. A real quick search for a Killi jacket just turned up links toa mispelled Kilimanjaro jacket. Can you point me to where I can check them out?

How do you guys find the sizing of the Fieldsheer stuff? IfI buy the sizeI normally wear,will it fit, orwill it be tight? Stuff made in SE Asia tends to run on the small side sometimes.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

A) The heated jacket heats up quick. I turn it on and but the time I am down my driveway it is warm. Keep in mind your grips pass a lot of heat into the bars, the jacket is all you. And yeah, I may be a girlie man, but at least I am not cold!

B) Search around ebay and www.newenough.com for the Killi and or Highland. I paid $100 for my Killi 2 jacket last month, rated to be the best of the four versions and it was in like brand new condition, and paid $200 for my Highland suit from Brockton Cycles online about two years ago. Again, search ebay, you can find them much cheaper than $300 bucks.

Sizing on the Killi seems to run small, I normally wear medium, but needed a large to feel happy in the Killi, the Highland suit seems to run true.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Field...spagenameZWDVW

I don't know your size or color pref, but this is a good price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/First...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 04-18-2008, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang

Stuff made in SE Asia tends to run on the small side sometimes.

That's the understatement of the year.[8D] And as if to add insult to injury, stuff made in Mexico for big guys is now called Grande or something like that. Why don't they just cut to the chase and change it to:

Small
Medium
Large
Huge

Yea that doesn't sting too bad...........

Old 04-18-2008, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I guesswe just expect too much from pre-teen labor.

Thanks a lot for the links. I'm going to the dealership tonight to see if they have anything like that (and to figure out what size to get). If not, I'll eBay it.

Quick Reply: Need a cold-weather jacket