Need Advice (real quick)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Need Advice (real quick)

Hi Guys,

So I pick up my brand new KLX250 today, Took it out for about 15k's riding. I came back to take some pics so I could post for all to see, just before taking the pics I notice a couple of drops of oil on the concrete driveway. On further investigation I found a fair amount of oil up under the little bash plate, I'm booked in to go riding with another guy tommorrow a.m. but am wondering about this oil.. Could it be just an overflow or something, should I take it to the dealer on the way and get them to check it out. Anybody else with brand new bike experienced this... What do you think I should do inf anything??

Cheers
Chris.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Need Advice (real quick)

Take it right back..... there should never be oil anywhere on the outside, i would just not go riding, get it fixed.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:16 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I agree... Unless you cansee that it's something simple like a loose drain plug or something. But even then, I'd re-check every nut and bolt on the bike (or have the dealer do it).

Old 11-16-2007, 11:57 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on what EMS and Mustang wrote. Also check the engine to make sure it doesn't say Harley Davidson anywhere.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i hate seeing things out of place on my bike, when it means it goes back to the dealer.... its been there too much.... [>:]

Old 11-16-2007, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

But nothing sincetheylapped your valves, right (knock on wood)? I'm fairly sure mine won't have any problems...ALL...WINTER...LONG! I have got to find a job further south! [:@]

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

i hate seeing things out of place on my bike, when it means it goes back to the dealer.... its been there too much.... [>:]

Old 11-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yes all is well so far...

Old 11-16-2007, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

+1 on what EMS and Mustang wrote. Also check the engine to make sure it doesn't say Harley Davidson anywhere.
Hey, watch it there, Man'o. Don't make me come over there. My Harley leaks less than my Triumph I'll have you know!
Actually, it doesn't leak at all, but the Bonne can't keep oil in the forks. I'll fix that soon enough and then you can just eat crow.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 11-16-2007, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shadetree

Hey, watch it there, Man'o. Don't make me come over there. My Harley leaks less than my Triumph I'll have you know!
Actually, it doesn't leak at all, but the Bonne can't keep oil in the forks. I'll fix that soon enough and then you can just eat crow.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma
LOL! Hey, I have to do something. A friend of mine just traded-in his Sportster on a BMW, so I can't make anymore lawn mower jokes [8D] Another guy I know just sold an old pan head and bought one of the AMF models [:@]Yeah, they are classics and quite the conversation piece, but he his constantly battling old leaks on the bike. Sometimes I great him with a rag when he comes to visit I will admit that the later models don't leak much oil at all,when properly cared for. If Iever get a Harley, a late modelRoad King Classic will be my choice...those are swwwwweeeeet!

I love thesound of the oldTriumph twins. Very cool bikes! In Japan, the KawasakiW-650 is kind ofa Bonneville clone.They have a huge following over here. I ran into a couple of old timers about a month ago and both had early 70's model W-650's. Theywere in pristinecondition and they soundedawesome.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, Dean. You read me spot on. Thanks.
I almost bought a W 650 back when I got my first Sportster. I really like those bikes. Our Bonneville is actually a 2003 Centennial Edition. Looks pretty much like a '69 model. The Harley is a '01 Dyna Sport. The only leak it's had was when my son dropped it in the driveway, didn't get the kick stand knotched, and it bent the danged derby cover! I couldn't believe it! It was an easy fix, lucky for him. He had to pay for it. I'm upgrading the Dyna to Brembo Brakes soon. It's actually a great bike, kind of a sleeper at track day. But I wouldn't want to tackle your Motard...

Bill

Quick Reply: Need Advice (real quick)