Neck brace testimonials?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought an EVS evo neck brace when they came out. I found that it limited my head movement, and was generally uncomfortable, until I raced with it. Once I was on the track, I didn't notice it. I forgot to put it on once, and I felt totally naked and uncomfortable without it. I crashed the first time I rode with it, could tell right away that it worked, and I was a believer.

In the few weeks after that, I started to feel sick. It was like I was always coming down with something, and a few times while riding, I had to stop because I was getting headaches. Eventually the season ended and it went away. On the first ride of the next season, I fell over in a corner. It was a sand track, and the sand just sucked the front end down and I fell over. I hit my head, but I was wearing the neck brace, and my neck was fine. Problem was, I couldn't get up. I eventually did, but that was 3 years ago, and I'm still suffering from the symptoms of that concussion. I realized later that I was concussed the year before. That was the "sick" feeling that wouldn't go away.
That's when I put that neck brace away and started wearing only a neck roll. It seems that the brace was doing such a good job preventing the neck and head from moving that the brain was moving from the sudden stop. I haven't had a concussion since I stopped using it.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:38 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
I bought an EVS evo neck brace when they came out. I found that it limited my head movement, and was generally uncomfortable, until I raced with it. Once I was on the track, I didn't notice it. I forgot to put it on once, and I felt totally naked and uncomfortable without it. I crashed the first time I rode with it, could tell right away that it worked, and I was a believer.

In the few weeks after that, I started to feel sick. It was like I was always coming down with something, and a few times while riding, I had to stop because I was getting headaches. Eventually the season ended and it went away. On the first ride of the next season, I fell over in a corner. It was a sand track, and the sand just sucked the front end down and I fell over. I hit my head, but I was wearing the neck brace, and my neck was fine. Problem was, I couldn't get up. I eventually did, but that was 3 years ago, and I'm still suffering from the symptoms of that concussion. I realized later that I was concussed the year before. That was the "sick" feeling that wouldn't go away.
That's when I put that neck brace away and started wearing only a neck roll. It seems that the brace was doing such a good job preventing the neck and head from moving that the brain was moving from the sudden stop. I haven't had a concussion since I stopped using it.
Now that one is interesting. What was it we said about protective devices possibly moving the point of injury "down the line"?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow Zombie, quite a story. Concussions are not to be taken lightly. I had one from a snowboarding accident and it took ~3mo before I stopped feeling constantly slightly drunk. I know that doesn't sound too bad, but try chairing a meeting or performing analytical work in that state. Because of the cumulative effects of concussions, I sometimes wonder if I should take up less risky hobbies such a knitting :-)

Do you think that even though you concussed, you avoided a neck injury because of the brace?

Old 10-28-2012, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

On the first one, possibly, but I doubt it. On the second, and really bad concussion, no way. I really just fell over and hit the side of my head at low speed.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Interesting feedback on the neckbrace, thanks! No question the 'type' of injuries tend to differ on & off road. I can also definitely see how the brace may unintentionally cause an extension injury by uplifting on the helmet.

I asked a doctor his opinion of neck braces. He points out that the neck is the especially weak but critical link in the 'head to tail' assembly, and that it's made even relatively weaker when a rider puts on a helmet and spine protector. *In this regard he thought a neck brace would be a good thing. *On the other hand, he did say that he sees far more head & back injuries than neck injuries arising from motorcycle accidents.

Perhaps I'll see if I can find an off-season sale on a decent neck brace and give it a tentative try. *It sounds like there are several gear manufacturers currently arguing over patents so once that's settles there might be a better selection of designs on the market(?).*

In the meantime, if anybody knows of any scientific study into the effectiveness of braces, I'd be interested...

Old 10-31-2012, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

This is what I use now.

I think it's a good compromise.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:34 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I've been curious about the newer designed EVS R4 neck brace. It's a neck brace more along the lines of a neck roll design like ZW mentioned. I read a good article about it in Dirt Rider magazine. They said it was a better off road neck brace over a more complex track model because it allowed more movement and flexibility to look around, duck under limbs, and the other riding issues that differ from riding on a track venue. Looks like it has the safety issue addressed without having your head limited like the others. Here's a link.

EVS Sports

Old 10-31-2012, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Zombie & TNC, these look more along the lines of what I should consider: less rigid, less bulky, & less expensive! I think the budget for protective gear is always best allocated to the basics of helmet, gloves, boots & armour first!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:19 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I'm seeing RC3 on that brace of ZW's. The one I linked is an R4. I wonder what the main differences are?

Old 10-31-2012, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I've tried on the RC4 and been thinking about buying one for the last year. The difference is that the 3 is basically a soft neck roll made from cloth and padding. The 4 is made of plastic with some padding. Note the rear back brace on the 4. It also has straps that they don't show in the pic. I'd like to buy one, and although I smartened up and stopped crashing, I'm still nervous about the concussions. 3 years later and I'm still forgetting stuff, and acting more retarded than I should.

Quick Reply: Neck brace testimonials?