My ride today - first time out in a loooong time

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 04:50 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default My ride today - first time out in a loooong time

The stars must be aligned this weekend because my bike finally came together with the 331cc big bore and FCR pumper carb, my collar bone is healing pretty well and I can finally ride again, and the weather cleared up for a crisp, cool, sunny fall day. After checking my bike over for any loose nuts and bolts, adjusting my rear brake pedal a bit, fitting my fancy new Wolfman tank bag (thanks Ginsu4u!), I'm ready to head out:

I head out some back roads and my first stop is down to one of my favorite spots down by the lake:

I hit some good water on the way down - made some good spray and I got a little wet. Man it felt good to be back on the KLX!

For my next stop, I headed out near the nuclear plant where there are some power and gas lines with some good jumps and mud and a few decent trails. Unfortunately, there was active logging in the area and it is private property and I high tailed it out of there. So I stopped down by a nearby access way and practiced wheelies for a little bit:

Getting bored of that, I continued on to a another area I haunt. Ever since they dammed up Jordan lake and flooded the lake area, there are several old roads that the lake covered. Of course, you're not supposed to drive on them but folks follow them down to the lake and they make a nice spot to fish from. Here's what they look like, mostly grown over by now:

I veered left from there and bushwhacked a bit:

Until I came out to a dirt access road that I like:

Ruts!!! Nooooo! I gave those a wide birth ...

This leads to a pretty decent quad trail:

I haven't been down here in a while, hmmmm, what's this? Me like!! This is just what I did some of these upgrades for - to be able pop that front wheel and clear this stuff:

But not today ... I'm still getting a feel for my upgrades and I didn't want to take a spill and reinjure my collar bone. I hate to admit it, but I went around. This time.

Random woods shot:

Check out the reflective thread on the tank bag - same shot as above, just using the flash instead:

Staying on the trail was kind've hard with the leaves starting to fall. I took several wrong turns - pretty good stuff, though:

Here is one place where I took a wrong turn and while turning around to relocate the trail, I dropped it. No damage - just picked up some leaves and needles in the footpeg. Once I felt it going I bailed and stayed on my feet, not wanting to risk injury. Before my accident I may have tried to ride it out. Again, not today.

OK, so do you see that little speck of water straight ahead? It's not real big but you can make it out dead ahead. DO NOT go through that, I told myself.

Unfortunately, I rarely listen to myself:

I just eased into it, not sure how deep it was, and that's all the farther I got - the front end felt like it was anchored by concrete. I weighted the back tire, tried to rock the bike, dug a hole spinning my back tire, it didn't budge - forward or backward. I tugged on it multiple times and every time when lifting and the suspension would come to its full extension, it was like hitting a wall. Whatever had the front tire was not letting go. I even took off my jacket, rolled up my sleeve and reached down in that cold water and muck thinking for sure there was some sticks or something through my spokes holding the front wheel because I could not get it to budge.

It's starting to get a little late at this point and I'm beginning to wish someone would come by and give me hand. Unfortunately, I've never seen anyone else on these trails and am beginning to feel a little lonely. [&:]

So I figure if I don't muscle it out, I'm going to be here all night. I already determined that I can't go forward, the rear wheel is at an angle and can't get much traction and pushing it forward just sets it harder into the muck - it's not budging forward. Neither can I pull it straight out backwards - I can't get enough leverage or traction, and the ledge behind the front tire is a drop off and I can't get enough pull to overcome that. And anyway, it doesn't even budge - not an inch!

So I finally figure I'll try and drag the front end out sideways so I get a grip on the left handguard and grip and bend my knees a little holding the bar at about my waist and straighten up, supporting the bar and most of the force on my waist / thigh. It moved! Just a little - don't let go, I readjusted my feet and back up just a speck and repeated - another half-inch, keep it coming. After a few minutes of this I inched it out - whew!! I'm now pretty hot and sit down, take a break.

I have no idea how Incabiker got his out that muck he was in. His was up to his seat in that stuff!!!

The moral of this story is - never ease the front tire in to see how deep it is, just hit it WOT!!!

Back home, safe and sound:

And before you comment on my ugly the seat, just remember that it sure is comfy.

My new rear end held up well - my blinker didn't melt, it was cool to the touch so I think it will be OK there:

All in all, good ride though I was still taking it a bit easy on the new cylinder as well as on myself having not ridden in a month and a half I was a bit rusty, not to mention still getting used to the new big bore and pumper. The feel of the bike is great - I was concerned that the power would not be very controllable but it is. You can still ease it over logs and technical terrain just like before without breaking traction, but you just need to be a little softer on the throttle due to its faster response now, but it is stil very controllable. But when you want it, that instant response is there with just a twist of the wrist. I'm very happy with it.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:04 AM
Default RE: My ride today - first time out in a loooong time

great pics, looks like you had a good adventure

Old 10-29-2006, 05:33 AM

All right!! Great back in the saddle ride report. The tank bag looks good. Sooo, 331c.c., Pumper Carby, are you gonna work on that coffee holder next. Just have to make sure it wont spill while doing a wheeelie.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:36 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ginsu4u

All right!! Great back in the saddle ride report. The tank bag looks good. Sooo, 331c.c., Pumper Carby, are you gonna work on that coffee holder next. Just have to make sure it wont spill while doing a wheeelie.
You know, that's funny - but only because a really actually do want a coffee holder. I'd like to stip down to Starbucks, get a cup to go, and back home - just need a place to carry it. So, yes, a coffee holder just might be next.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Great ride report!

Maybe it was because you've "been away awhile", but Mother Nature made sure you didn't miss out on your quota of mud, didn't she?

Did you get a chance to try out the TLD chest protector?

Old 10-29-2006, 07:13 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

No, actually, I didn't put on the chest protector. I need to take off the removable shoulderpads though so that it will fit under my jacket during these cool days. Even without the pads, there is still a goot bit of shoulder protection.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Great ride report as usual Brian, I was going to say you are growing wise grasshopper avioding the logs etc but then you undid all your good work getting stuck in the mud lol, ahh well.

[8D]

Good to see you back in the saddle mate

cheers

Garry

Old 10-29-2006, 07:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I bet it feels great to be on the bike again, but your lucky you could lift the bike after your injury that stuff is like glue, a few months ago my son got his bike stuck in a creek bed
it looked like sand going in but it turned into gumbo, it took three men and a 4x4 to get it out.
anyway glad you back in the saddle.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

nice pics and ride report... that muck on your tire looks nasty......

Old 10-30-2006, 03:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Beautiful pics and report Brian. I'm glad you and the bike are back together and riding again.

Quick Reply: My ride today - first time out in a loooong time