My hands go numb.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default My hands go numb.

Hey All,

After about 20 miles into a ride my hands start to go numb on the bars. It's not from cold, but vibration. Have any of you experienced this?

I have Pro Taper bars with half waffle grips. The bike is in excellent working order so I do not think it is due to any mechanical issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to solve this problem? I mean, after awhile my hands just start to hurt.

Thanks,
Craig

Old 06-28-2009, 05:32 AM
1st Gear Member

fill the bar with some buck shot or go get a "barsnake". Both will act as a dampner and obsorb some of the vibrations.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:38 AM
1st Gear Member

This happens to me but after a lot longer. Say half a day off road.

I think it's because I grip to hard when the going gets tough.
It also contributes to the arm pump I get.

The things I'm doing to help is relax my grip as often as I can on a ride.

I think a steering dampener might help.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:37 PM
1st Gear Member

if you dont use bark busters they have things that go in the end of your bars to help kill that off. or use thick style grips, dual and tri layer stuff.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Its 90% you and 10% the klx. I'm postin remote in da swamp so this will be short and quick. RELAX, lighten up on the death grip on the bars, the klx does not vibrate hardly at all....its all technique ... give it time and you will learn.

Shoot, on occassion I have gotten the numb hands on my mountain bike...it ain't got no vibes..right? Technique

Now if you Wwwaantt aaa VvvvVIiiiBbbBbrrrRaatingG SOB ride ktm lc4 like my addv....see II'mm stiLLl vvibrating. That biatch will make your numb in seconds with a death grip....just sayin.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Its 90% you and 10% the klx. I'm postin remote in da swamp so this will be short and quick. RELAX, lighten up on the death grip on the bars, the klx does not vibrate hardly at all....its all technique ... give it time and you will learn.

Shoot, on occassion I have gotten the numb hands on my mountain bike...it ain't got no vibes..right? Technique

Now if you Wwwaantt aaa VvvvVIiiiBbbBbrrrRaatingG SOB ride ktm lc4 like my addv....see II'mm stiLLl vvibrating. That biatch will make your numb in seconds with a death grip....just sayin.
The klx is like a sewing machine compared to some bikes.

Death grip on the bars is no good.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Good chance that you're gripping too tight because the suspension is not set up for your weight, riding style, and terrain.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 06-28-2009, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I've had this problem but usually only first thing in the morning. I blame it on the fact that the caffeine hasn't quite reached the heart yet. After that I can go all day with no problems. Provided I keep caffeine levels normal. Too much and I make the klx vibrate.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yes it happens to me on occasion, and like finger said, its because you are too tense on the grip. I have to remind myself to ease up on the death grip. My hands usually don't do that on trails because there is so much standing and repositioning of the hands, but on a longer ride on the highway, you tend to get locked into this position and before you know it you are going numb. I sometimes have to use my thumb and set the 4 fingers up on top over the brake lever and the feeling comes back. This is a common thing for timber fallers and others where vibration is a constant. Just remember to lighten the grip and you will be fine.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I sometimes have to use my thumb and set the 4 fingers up on top over the brake lever and the feeling comes back.
Good Lawrd, thats so funny and true Deej....I thought I was the only one that did that. The klx does not bother me anymore, 95% of the time, but sumtimes on long straight runs my throttle hand will start to numb up if I zone out a little.

Now my ktm...that F'er reaches perfect resonating vibration at 70 mph....goood lawrd it vibrates the bars...at first I could hardly ride the bike at that speed.....faster it still vibes but less numbing, perhaps because I am more focused on staying alive.

But noone the less, vibs on a adv are an issue to be addressed with bar weights etc....the klx...nuthing to do but ride. Just my Opine

Quick Reply: My hands go numb.