My First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Default My First Oil Change

I finally changed it at 149 miles. It was really easy. After, draining, changing the filter and filling it up, I ran it at idle for 2 minutes. Then checked and the oild level was a little low so I filled it until the oil level is between the 2 lines.

These 2 things were helpful.

Resting the bike on its side made putting in the new filter a snap.
Leaning buke was to the right thenback to the kickstand a few times got more oil out.

The old oil looked okay .. no metal flakes or anything. The only bad things were;

I didn't use a torque wrench but I was very gentle when tightneing the drain plug. It is .. snug but not too tight. I plan on getting one and tightening the drain plug to spec.

I didn't get the new drain plug gasket. There wasn't an old drain plug gasket!!!
I have the gasket on order and will check for leaks but I think it will be okay..

So far so good. . So .. how long will it take to blow up if I didn't do it right?

PS.. any tips to get the oil off the ground.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My First Oil Change

to get oil off the ground try a can of brake clean, that stuff is awesome. If you don't have any, then Lacquer Thinner will work too.
And yes I see the irony.....brake "CLEAN" LOL

Old 10-05-2006, 11:03 PM

Thanks..

I just have one quick question.. The are only 2 pieces on the drain plug right? The (drain plug), bolt and the washer. Where is this gasket they are talking about in the manual. I went through the oil and found the washer piece... but no gasket.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well according to the parts diagram, there is no gasket. I have changed my oil at least 6 times, and I don't remember seeing a gasket. Maybe they are talking about the oil filter cover. Anyway here is the diagram off the Kawasaki site, I shaded a box for the bolt and washer, and as you can see there is no gasket.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:32 PM

cool.. .. and there wasn't any gasket for the oil filter? I think everything is fine.. Just need to tighten to spec... Maybe I am misreading the manual

Old 10-05-2006, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you talking about the O-ring? It goes around the filter cover. My filter came with a new one, but I have heard that some filters (like the Kawi ones) don't. I doubt there would be any issue with re-using the old one with that few miles on the bike. Changing the oil on this bike is a breeze. Much easier than my BMW. Heck, even a girl can do it!

Old 10-05-2006, 11:50 PM

No I am not talking about the o-ring. The manual says something about an oil plug gasket.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmmm. I didn't have any gasket either.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:18 AM

All my bike had was the washer on the drain plug as well. That's what I thought you were referring to when you mentioned the drain plug gasket back in the "first dump" thread. Sounds like everything is good.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

The metal washer on your drain plug IS the gasket. It's a metal gasket, part number 11061-0222. My dealer likes to call it a "crush washer".

Quick Reply: My First Oil Change