My First Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking My First Bike

Hey guys, got my first bike last week. It's a 2012 klx250s, Kawi green and had 2 miles on it when I picked it up. I got some good information off this forum as a lurker and decided it's worth signing up and being part of the crowd! I'm not new to machines and tuning, I'm a mechanic and love cars but I'm a total newbie to bikes.

I'm thinking my first mods will be to re jet the bike, I may delete some of the emission crap we have for California, a skid plate, hand guards and a tank bag. I know these bikes have starting problems but mine has been fine so far.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new bike.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome NorCal,

Some, but certainly not all, have starting problems. Easy fixes if it does. Looks like you have a good start to mods. Hope you add some safety gear in there too. Ride safe!

Old 06-17-2013, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

So I've been doing my research and I'm not sure what I want to do for performance. I know I'm going to re jet it for sure but I remember seeing things about an air box mod? Can someone explain what that requires or give me a link? I took the seat off and that air box rubber elbow deal looks pretty lame. I assume its enlarging that or getting a bigger one??? Also, since I'm rejetting, I'm thinking of getting a FMF Q4 with quiet insert. Does anyone have an idea how loud it is? Youtube is only so good for exhaust sounds.

I'm thinking air box mod, re jet and exhaust will be my max engine mods for now. Then I'll stick to riding stuff like a tank bag and perhaps a removable wind screen. I'll post up pics as my bike progresses. Can't wait! Also I did get some riding gear to be safe, good looking out!

Old 06-17-2013, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
So I've been doing my research and I'm not sure what I want to do for performance. I know I'm going to re jet it for sure but I remember seeing things about an air box mod? Can someone explain what that requires or give me a link? I took the seat off and that air box rubber elbow deal looks pretty lame. I assume its enlarging that or getting a bigger one??? Also, since I'm rejetting, I'm thinking of getting a FMF Q4 with quiet insert. Does anyone have an idea how loud it is? Youtube is only so good for exhaust sounds.

I'm thinking air box mod, re jet and exhaust will be my max engine mods for now. Then I'll stick to riding stuff like a tank bag and perhaps a removable wind screen. I'll post up pics as my bike progresses. Can't wait! Also I did get some riding gear to be safe, good looking out!
i have the megabomb header with the Q4 and the Quiet insert when i got a db test done it was 86db at 5000 Rpms (no load) it does have a very nice pleasant deep tune most of what your going to hear though will be the air box if you dont do the cam mod i only did the intake for now and it was a great improvement i'm not sure if i'm going to do the exhaust side since i'm looking at the 351 this winter.

Tip: when i did the air box screen i could get 3 of the 4 screws out i drilled a hole in the bottom right rear of the air box to get the last screw then plugged the hole afterwards

BTW welcome to the forums and enjoy your little monster

Old 06-18-2013, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a Q4 and don't think it's overly loud. If sound is a concern you probably won't want to ride with the lid off. If you add the larger KDX snorkel and rejet you should be fine for now. Maybe a K&N air filter if you don't plan on doing a lot of dirt riding.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Ahh, thats it, KDX snorkle. Does that fit my stock air box lid? I figure since I'm not going for maximum power I'll stay away from a K&N. Honestly I've seen them cause a lot of issues on cars and I plan on doing as much dirt as possible. With that being said most of my total miles will probably end up being on pavement around town.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Good choice on a first bike. I like your plan for upgrades. Nice balance of performance and function.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I was able to get to that fourth air box bolt with a 1/4" socket with a universal joint.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
Ahh, thats it, KDX snorkle. Does that fit my stock air box lid? I figure since I'm not going for maximum power I'll stay away from a K&N. Honestly I've seen them cause a lot of issues on cars and I plan on doing as much dirt as possible. With that being said most of my total miles will probably end up being on pavement around town.
Yes, you can pull out the stock snorkel and put the kdx one in.

I have FMF power bomb & Q4 with quiet insert. Yes, a ways louder than the stock sewing machine sound. But about the quietest aftermarket out there and I sure like the sound. I had an HMF performance slip-on before, which I think provided more power, and definitely more noise! Others do a KLX300 exhaust system which is in-between.

Quick Reply: My First Bike