my car dies, dad sold my 400 ex, now

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking my car dies, dad sold my 400 ex, now

so heres the deal, i have been without a car for about a year now. part 1, my cars clutch took a dump (civic, bought at 100k miles and they said it had the 100k mile service and it didnt). luckly it did it right after i finished school (uti), and i had just quit my tech job and got something close to home cus the car was about die. i had been saving money sence my car broke, looking into engine swaps, but i had seen honda ruckus at eibach meets (honda head, sorry). after looking into them and seeing almost 100 mpg i was sold, plus they look cool. part 2, dad trys to sell our bikes (i had a 400ex, dad had a cr500, bought with dads pention money in 2000). reason for the sale, he said theres no where close to ride, kinda true (but i know spots hehehe), and he didnt want to have to go 3 hours just to ride. they never sold, so he traded them in for a vulcan 900 custom, hes new ride. that happened not even a week ago. the sudden trade in and my internet geek got to me and i started looking into enduros/dual sports again, something i had looked into when i was 17 (20). this is something my dad had no intrest in me getting then, untill he sold the bikes (but he still didnt like the scooter). after finding the klx250s and the crf230l, both besting 65 mpg, and my dads sudden intrest to help me with it, i left video reviews on the computer before i went to work, he talked to me when i got home and said to call around and see if anyone had one to look at. the next day i just so happened to get up before the bike shop opened, so i decied to bike to the closest shop, temecula motor sports, where my dad got the vulcan. as soon as i walk in whats in front of me, the klx. i loved it. it had just hit the floor that morning. knowing that crf was definely a lesser bike, i called my dad, he went with me and to look at the bike, before i know it, im signing stuff to get kawasaki credit and loan approval. i had just wanted numbers, so i told them i need a night to thing about it. i call around and not only wasnt there a nother one for miles, i had haggled them lower than any other shop would even give me ($6200, cali's expensive). the next day i call the dealer and tell them to hold the bike, ill be there the next day. longest day ever. well now im posting so i have my bike, i couldnt ride it home from the dealer, working on getting my permit, but i rode it around the block when i got it home, and wow, this thing is perfict for me (6', 140lbs). even below 5 grand, it can get me going just fine for traffic. i was use to quads, and only riden bikes a few times and never on street but this bike is sized so right for me (vs a beast cr500 with lots of mods, scary with me on it). very glad i bought it. a few pics till i can get the bike in the sun tomarrow.

Name:  3640729957.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  71.6 KB
Name:  3640729960.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  77.0 KB
Name:  3640729959.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  24.8 KB
and the dads new vulcan custom, only 250 miles so far.
Name:  3640729961.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  67.0 KB

srys its so long, but its been a long time coming for me to get some wheels i really like back under me, now i just got to fix that clutch incase it rains.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

wow... that was confusing.... all i know is you got a klx.... congrads man... its a great bike. does it get cold where u live? no car for a year.... cant do that here.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forums. Hey what is under the car cover?

Old 07-26-2008, 01:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Do the free mods. If you are riding on the street, the extra torque is really nice. Also, consider putting upgraded springs in the front forks to stop the fork dive with hard stops on the street.

If you are easy on the throttle you can get 100MPG. If you are getting less then 70MPG your riding too hard

Old 07-26-2008, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Time to get her DIRTY.
If you're lucky Deej will come round and clean her for you. LOL.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member

luckly i live in so. cal., so the only time the bike wont be used is in the rain. the only reason i really went with a car for a year is i have this bad problem not replacing things with stock stuff, i was original was going to put a gsr motor in my civic. luckly my work is only a few miles away right now, so biking was an option as long as i work there. the car under the cover is my dads 84 c4 corvette, 4 speed with 2 od's, dads second mid life buy, they bike was the third. free mods will be done in time, this is the first bike i have riden on the street so i want to get my street skills up before i up the power. and as far as getting her dirty, im going to get my permit monday, wensdays my next day off, and she will be seeing some action then hehehe.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Congratulations, on the nice KLX250s! Time to trim that rear fender. ;o)

Old 07-27-2008, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new ride!

I wish I had the RPM readout on mine. I'd like to see if I can fit the top triple clamp from and 09 onto my 06, then fit that gage.

One thing at a time though. Priorties say suspension first.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sid Post
If you are easy on the throttle you can get 100MPG. If you are getting less then 70MPG your riding too hard

well i guess im riding mine to hard

welcome to KF PUNK

Old 07-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

"Riding too hard" ...... there is no such thing....... i think i get less than 70mpg in the woods.....

Quick Reply: my car dies, dad sold my 400 ex, now