My bike was on fire ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 02:55 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default My bike was on fire ...

And that is not figuratively - literally it was! Well, not the bike exactly, but the dry stick that got stuck between the engine and the header pipe was burning pretty good. Flames were beginning to wick up to the radiator shroud and gas tank before I noticed. No damage was done, but that's just one more thing to be careful of if you ride in an area where dried sticks, grass, leaves, etc, might get snagged on your bike and come in contact with the hot head pipe.

That made my short ride today a bit more exciting that I wanted. And you thought you only had to worry about the backfire screen ...

Old 12-11-2006, 02:59 AM
Default RE: My bike was on fire ...

that's not good....especially with a plastic ims tank!!

Old 12-11-2006, 03:01 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Man that sounds like some kind of excitement. Glad it wasn't really bad for you.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Yikes!
Now if the fire had been in the airbox, I wonder how long it would take someone to notice. Especially if they're busy with some technical portion of a trail or the likes.

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

And that is not figuratively - literally it was! Well, not the bike exactly, but the dry stick that got stuck between the engine and the header pipe was burning pretty good. Flames were beginning to wick up to the radiator shroud and gas tank before I noticed. No damage was done, but that's just one more thing to be careful of if you ride in an area where dried sticks, grass, leaves, etc, might get snagged on your bike and come in contact with the hot head pipe.

That made my short ride today a bit more exciting that I wanted. And you thought you only had to worry about the backfire screen ...

Old 12-11-2006, 03:13 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I happened to smell the smoke when I slowed down. At first I thought it was someone burning a brush pile or just a fireplace chimney. Then I looked down and saw the flames and was just stunned at seeing fire!

Sorry no photos, I was too busy $hitting bricks [&:]

Old 12-11-2006, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Could be a creative way to warm up your engine head on those cold mornings when its harder to start. Guess you just need to set the branch just right and light it....

Seriously, that sounds pritty scary.. It's not every day you look down and see FLAMES coming up from the underside of your bike.. And where there were, right near the gas tank YIKES!!!!

Glad you cought it in time!!!

Old 12-11-2006, 04:36 AM
1st Gear Member

next time pack marshmellows[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 12-11-2006, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member

This happened to me a couple times this summer. First time I was riding in a field in waist high grass and brush, I could smell smoke and looked down see a bunch of grass cought in the head pipe, no flames but it was smoking lol.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:16 AM
1st Gear Member

hehehe that happens to me on my bayou all the time, just the sticks just lay on top of the header and roast

Old 12-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Wow, im glad my bike has never done that, but i seem to go through enough mud/water that it would eliminate any chance of fire

Quick Reply: My bike was on fire ...