More on the top end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Uh oh, you are turning me to the dark side! I don't know if I can justify $400 for a carb. In due time I suppose

Old 05-25-2013, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Uh oh, you are turning me to the dark side! I don't know if I can justify $400 for a carb. In due time I suppose
you can get them for a littlle less than $300 if you shop around.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks TNC. I've been going back and forth on the idea of a bigger carb and your description of your experience has convinced that I should buy one. Can you please tell me what the model # of your carb is and what parts are needed to install it on my 2012 KLX250s. I'm mostly thinking about what intake manifold is needed. Does the new carb's airbox side fit the OEM airbox to carb plumbing? Thanks.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:53 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by duncanblake
Thanks TNC. I've been going back and forth on the idea of a bigger carb and your description of your experience has convinced that I should buy one. Can you please tell me what the model # of your carb is and what parts are needed to install it on my 2012 KLX250s. I'm mostly thinking about what intake manifold is needed. Does the new carb's airbox side fit the OEM airbox to carb plumbing? Thanks.
If you have the stock gas tank, it's a relative bolt-on. I have a 3.7 Acerbis and had to grind off part of the throttle wheel...quite easy actually. I'm using the stock, pull, throttle cable...stock intake manifold...stock airbox boot. If you have a very tall handlebar or tall bar risers installed, you may have to have a longer throttle cable.

The carb is officially a Mikuni TM36-68. Be careful, make sure you get the pumper carb which is the "68". Here's a link that will get you started. It has installation tips, jetting, etc. I only had to pull the carb one time and change the air pilot jet one size for perfection on mine. Speaking of pulling the carb, it is way easier than removing/installing the stock carb.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...klx250s-13648/

This carb has been a dream for me. I only have the OEM 300cc kit on mine, but I can't see why anyone who would install a 351 kit wouldn't also do this mod. It works and makes a dramatic difference.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks TNC. Ordered the TM36-68 from Niche Cycle Supply on Ebay this morning for $269.99 w/free shipping. I'm 62 years old and the last time I felt like this I was probably 8 yrs. old and it was Xmas eve. I just can't believe I can still get this excited. I really am a bike nut. Thank God.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:47 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by duncanblake
Thanks TNC. Ordered the TM36-68 from Niche Cycle Supply on Ebay this morning for $269.99 w/free shipping. I'm 62 years old and the last time I felt like this I was probably 8 yrs. old and it was Xmas eve. I just can't believe I can still get this excited. I really am a bike nut. Thank God.
Hey!...there's worse things than being a bike nut...LOL! I'll be 62 in a short while myself, and I still really look forward to riding my KLX.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:34 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Hey, db...Marin county...do you MTB in your area any? In addition to being a dirtbike guy since the early 70's, I've been an avid MTB'er since '95. I currently ride a Santa Cruz Nomad and love it.

And hey...keep us informed how the carb swap goes.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

so my question is how does the TM33-68 fit under an IMS tank ???

i know the tank is very close to being stock

Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zippets
so my question is how does the TM33-68 fit under an IMS tank ???

i know the tank is very close to being stock
If I can get the carb to fit under the supertanker Acerbis tank, there surely can't be too much work to get it fit under anything else. Here's a couple of pics for the Acerbis application. I basically just removed all the return cable bits off the throttle cable holder and the throttle wheel with a Dremel tool and bench grinder. It sounds like a big deal, but it was a piece of cake. Those two components unbolt off the main carb body easily so that you can easily cut and grind on them.

Attached Thumbnails More on the top end?-p1010001.jpg   More on the top end?-p1010002.jpg   More on the top end?-p1010003.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

TNC: Mountain biking was sort of born here in the 60's. The fire roads are beautiful and while riding up the biggest mountain in Marin you look over the San Francisco bay and all the cities around it. We got very lucky. The Army and Navy started grabbing all strategic locations back in the mid 1800's right through the Cold War. All these lands were undeveloped and were eventually given to the National Park Service, where they remain undeveloped and protected. Just luck.

Quick Reply: More on the top end?