more n00b questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default more n00b questions

Hi guys,

First time poster here. Got my KLX250x 3 weeks ago to the day. I bought a used 09 for a pretty good price. The guy who had it before went up to a 15T gear on the front for lower highway RPMs.

I am not new to bikes. I had a 600 street bike from 97-01. Sold it after a nasty 4wheeler crash that left me with a broken collar bone, collapsed lung and a 3 day hopsital visit. I dropped to a 13T on it and i could really tell a difference in the low power ranges.

Now, I mainly bought the KLX for riding road and dirt trails around this summer and haven't given much thought of highway riding. However, I do work 45 miles from home, and I live 2 miles from the interstate, and I am considering driving it to work on casual Fridays at the office. How does this thing handle on longer interstate rides?

Also, I have browsed a lot of threads on free mods and what not. I have purchased the NGK iridium spark plug. Is there any manual or how to's posted on how to change the spark plug? I want to do this tonight or tomorrow. I haven't found anything yet while searching here.

1 more thing before I wait for the replies. I read this on the planetKLX site; "the stock jetting is usually a bit rich, so opening up the air box is likely to put the CVK carburation right on." I live in Alabama, and pretty sure I don't have the Cali model. Can I remove the airbox lid without rejetting?

Old 04-17-2009, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member

This thing isn't posting my picture.

http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/q...nt=klx250s.jpg

Last edited by deej; 04-17-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the site. As far as riding on the highway for any distance, I did 700 miles on the KLX last August, and while it did fine, I really should have put the 14 tooth back on to keep the RPM'S down a bit. I'm running the 13-45 sprockets, full Muzzy exhaust and jetting 132 and 40. The bike at 60 indicated runs right at 7,000 RPM'S. Its a little high, but I don't really think it will hurt the bike. And sometimes I just slow down, I mean when you're on a bike why not enjoy the journey instead of just thinking about the destination.

Posting pics is easy. All you do is copy the direct link on photo bucket or any other image site and hit the button and paste it in that box after you backspace and hit ok. Give it a try.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

i did that in my original post and it did not post the picture. i did it again in the reply and also posted a seperate link. maybe i have a setting turned off or something.

what do you think about the airbox lid? does it require a rejet if i remove it?

Old 04-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

My air box lid has been in a box on the shelf since the jetting. The guy at the shop said that I wouldn't need it anymore. So can you see the in your editor?

Old 04-17-2009, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF.
Pull the air box lid off. Sure it will want more fuel with a rejet, but until you do it, dont worry about it, It will run better

Old 04-17-2009, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree

Old 04-17-2009, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

hey welcome to the forum! i can change my plug with out taking the gas tank off (others with big fingers might have trouble) i just use two extentions and a u-joint with my plug socket. slide the extentions down thru the hole in the plastic side panel. after u get it loose u can reach in with your fingers and thread it out the rest of the way. when i first started modding i took off the airbox lid. now it's back on with a kdx200 hi flow snorkel. I'm still experiementing.
this forum has lots of good info and guys with great info! enjoy your bike!

Old 04-17-2009, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Deej, I do have that icon, but it didnt work the first try. i might try again later, I have a couple more pics up on my space and facebook.

Thanks Tmoe for the info on the plug. I am going to try it when i get home tonight, as well as taking off the airbox lid.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey pking welcome to KF!

Quick Reply: more n00b questions