Moose Racing Expensive Tire Tube-Punctured

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Moose Racing Expensive Tire Tube-Punctured

I put on a new rear D606 yesterday and after removing the old tire and Moose Racing Tube we found a pin hole in the center of the tube, looked like a nail had come through the tire. Looked closer and found what we though to be a nail in the tire but got the tire off and found it was a nothing more than a sharp pointed wooden thorn the size of a small finishing nail.

It had stuck through the tire and into the tube but was still holding air as I noticed no significant loss of air in the back tire over time. No idea how long it had been in there but it really blew me away that something like that could come through the tire, into and puncture the tube. I gess it would have punctured any tube as the Moose was a heavy tube compared to the Kenda the shop put back in it for another $20 bucks.

I ordered a Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tube from Bike Bandit $18.99 plus $6 to ship to replace the cheap Kenda that was put back on it. Anyone else have any suggestions on the best tire tube?

Last edited by wynn711; 12-11-2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I've gone to the Tubliss system. It still uses a tube, but, it's shielded, and located further away from the carcass. Perhaps one of those completely tubeless setups (like that foam insert) is the only way to completely keep this from happening.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I use heavy tubes but still have to fix a flat from time to time, I have the tire off my sons bike now as he poked something the size of a screw driver thru it

Old 12-11-2011, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Well went out to check the pressure on the new tire install yesterday morning and it hade none! Pinched tube I guess putting the new tire back on the rim. I watched the mechanic do the work and he did a good job, not rushed at all but they did use a cheap Kenda tube and he mentioned that cheaper tubes were easier to pinch and he was right. Went to the shop to let them know and they are going to take care of it as soon as my new Bridgestone tube gets here from CA. I looked closer at the Moose Racing tube that came out of it and it had a 2008 date on it so I guess I have had that tube on there for 3 years now with no problems except the new thorn that I picked up at some time. I could not find a new Moose for less than $39 online so went with a Bridgestone.

I also noticed that my back tailight was out, brake light worked but not running, had a funny name on the bulb and it was an 1157 on Bike Bandit for $18. The shop had one for a Yammer and it was made by Stanley virtually the same thing for $6.50. Works fine now. Saved a little on that. Never ride at night and just never noticed the running light was out on it!

Last edited by wynn711; 12-11-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

If what ever you run over is bad enough you will get a flat no matter what kinda tubes you have, in Colorado a guy was running the tubliss system and he got a flat. Its not completely unavoidable.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I've been running the same Kenda Heavy duty tubes in the bike for over 10,000 miles.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I've been running the same Kenda Heavy duty tubes in the bike for over 10,000 miles.
NOW you've done it. I wouldn't be surprised if they were BOTH flat next time you go to ride.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:18 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I tell ya...that Neutech Tubliss system that B58 mentioned is the real deal. I'm on my 5th rear tire and 3rd front tire and have worn them all out without flats or any other problems...not even any air loss. And on getting punctures...most of you have already seen the nail in my tire story in Colorado a couple of seasons ago. I have no idea how long I rode with that nail in there up in that rocky CO terrain, and the thing never lost a bit of air. A little sealant in this Tubliss setup, and it probably takes a full blown cut of large proportions to ruin your ride.

I notice the OP is from Kentucky. There are plenty of mesquite and cactus thorns capable of poking a hole in even a 606 or any other motorcycle tire for that matter down in our area in Texas. I sure felt good having this Tubliss system while riding down in the Big Bend area these last couple of weeks. Hardly saw another soul, and I was pretty much on my own. My first day I noticed I didn't bring that longer 14" tire iron that I bolt to my upper roller bolt hole. Without that, I don't think I can change my rear KLX tire in the field with the 2 other little wimpy irons I did have. With the Tubliss setup, I didn't worry too much about it, and sure enough, here I am back home and safe...LOL!

Attached Thumbnails Moose Racing Expensive Tire Tube-Punctured-tire-nail.jpg   Moose Racing Expensive Tire Tube-Punctured-p1010032.jpg  
Old 12-12-2011, 07:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
deej, it was not a Heavy Duty Kenda, it was the cheapest Kenda they make. The shop had no other 18" tubes in stock when we changed the tire. Like I said, the mechanic said that a Heavy Duty tube is much harder to pinch with a tire iron than a cheap tube.

The mechanic knew what he was doing, had all the latest tire changing equipment and actually use to work at the same shop I worked and raced for in the 70's.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

No I meant I've been running the same ones for 10,000 miles not the same as yours...use your head man! LOL

Quick Reply: Moose Racing Expensive Tire Tube-Punctured