Moose Handguards

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Moose Handguards

Hey ya'll I was wondering if any has put moose handguards on an 09 KLX 250. I ordered some but the clamps fall right where the handle bar splits. I know this is a really newbie question, but I thought the klx 250s had 7/8 handle bars. Do the contour Moose handguards fit the klx?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I've had Moose Barkbusters on my klx for over two years, they have hit numerous trees with no ill effects to the rider Good product.

I never put them on the stock bars.....I put them on a Moose Raptor Bend bar....perfect fit, and the best bar for the klx imho....as high as it goes without new cables and tough as hell.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the Moose Contour handguards but I haven't installed them yet. Can you be more specific about the fit issue you're having? Maybe post a pic if you can?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I think what he means is that the clamp lines up on the bar right where the cross bar is welded to the main bar. The stock bar is a POS anyway so here's a good reason to replace it before you fold them up like a pretzel out in the boonies. I got a decent bar for $30 that has survived many a getoff. I think it's an msr bar.

Last edited by lcpl0331; 02-25-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is a pick of where the clamps want to fall.

edit: And vtgreen let me know how the contours work out.

I got a decent bar for $30 that has survived many a getoff. I think it's an msr bar.
Do you remember what material you chose? And how easy does the stock one bend? Hopfully not like a coke can heh, I've only laid it down goin like 10 MPH, so I haven't really put it through any test.

Last edited by BouncingRadical; 02-24-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on getting new bars...I got Pro-tapers and you will find the aftermarket bars are much better than the stock bars. I also just recently installed the moose contour handguards...upgrading from the acerbis rally sport with the signal lites. Haven't gotten a ride in yet (still buried under the snow), but I am sure the moose will be much stronger than the plastic guards I had on.

Name:  IMG_2107.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  59.7 KB

Old 02-25-2009, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Angry Moose Contour handguards do not fit the stock bars!

Originally Posted by BouncingRadical
Here is a pick of where the clamps want to fall.

edit: And vtgreen let me know how the contours work out.

Yup, it is the same deal with the Moose Contours and the stock ('06) bars. I'm just holding them in the pic, but you can see they don't line up properly on the inside mount, and the brake line clearance is tight as well.

I guess I could fab up an extension or modify the brackets somehow to make them fit, but other than that it looks like new bars (which I don't need, yet) or get different handguards. What a bummer!!

Last edited by vtgreen; 02-25-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

vt...the brake-line is still in the way on my bike also, but I am considering upgrading the front line (and maybe the rear) to the braided steel lines. I am hoping this upgrade will take care of the clearance issue. BUT I really do like my moose handguards, the line clearance is minor in my opinion.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Aw man VT!I guess I am going to have to return them until I can get enough for a new bar as well. I found my break line wasn't really in the way because the bracket you attach at the bad spot pushed it just far enough away to get the break line in... I think.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I was looking at the pro-taper contour handlebars but I did not have a frame of reference for the different sizes. I am 6 and pretty comfortable on the stock bars, only feeling like I'm too bent over after being on them for a long time. Anyone else have pro-taper bars and can comment on them?

Quick Reply: Moose Handguards