Mods Vs. Engine Life

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Mods Vs. Engine Life

I have been thinking about doing some Mods to my KLX but I also want it to last for a long long time. Would the Mods lead to an increase in engine wear?

Old 02-17-2008, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Mods Vs. Engine Life

Know it won't if you let it breath better and richen it up from its very lean state at stock it will last even longer IMO it all goes along with how hard you run it and keep the oil changed and do the service..

Old 02-17-2008, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

The only mods that I see decreasing engine are cams with a radical profile, stroking the crank and big boring witht the cast iron sleeve. How much faster the engine will wear by doing these I don't know. Having the engine too lean will also destroy it.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:23 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k1w=no$

............ Having the engine too lean will also destroy it.
I wish there was a way to know for sure just how lean It really is. I am using Amsoil synthetic and changing it often so that should help. I want to start with the free mods. I also want to make sure it can still handle deep water so I don't want to disconnect anything that'll let water in.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

get a magnetic drain bolt if you dont have one already... that was the first thing i did.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I wish there was a way to know for sure just how lean It really is.
There is.
Get an air/fuel ratio gauge.
I know everybody says these things are lean from the factory, but everybody says that about every new bike.
I'm not so sure, and I'll tell you why.
Lean is not good for engine longevity, and lean is not good for emissions, either.
I can't see Kawasaki setting them up for potential damage, or poor emissions.
Lean can be good for power.
I have a late model car that I've modified, with header, free flowing exhaust, bigger tb, and mild cams (typical bike mods?).
I actually have to run it quite a bit richer to pass the emission tests, then lean it out later, for power.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zomby woof

I wish there was a way to know for sure just how lean It really is.
There is.
Get an air/fuel ratio gauge.
I know everybody says these things are lean from the factory, but everybody says that about every new bike.
I'm not so sure, and I'll tell you why.
Lean is not good for engine longevity, and lean is not good for emissions, either.
I can't see Kawasaki setting them up for potential damage, or poor emissions.
Lean can be good for power.
I have a late model car that I've modified, with header, free flowing exhaust, bigger tb, and mild cams (typical bike mods?).
I actually have to run it quite a bit richer to pass the emission tests, then lean it out later, for power.
Yes but Some people are getting so much heat from the lean condition that the Pipe glows red. As for emissions, would n't Rich emit more Hydrocarbons than lean would? As far as being lean from the factory, Only when you go to Mod it. These babies run flawlessly in stock trim which is pretty restricted I'll admit.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:12 AM
IG

These babies run flawlessly in stock trim which is pretty restricted I'll admit.

[/quote]

LOL, you're gonna love the slightest deviance away from "stock" then. Have you even done the 13-tooth sprocket? It's like a free mod and totally transforms the bike, then there's the exhaust and jetting, then air-cleaner/airbox mods, then maybe a 45-toother for the rear, don't forget to remove the smog crap to cool the exhaust gases for your new pipe.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

NO mods or highly modified. Oil is the key to living. I run mind wot all the time. Change oil every 1500km and oil and filter every 3000km. I did this with my big bore predator and the motor looked like new inside after two years of abuse. I rebuild enginefor a living. Higher hp engine dolive shorter, but if you look after the engine it will look after you.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IG

LOL, you're gonna love the slightest deviance away from "stock" then. Have you even done the 13-tooth sprocket? It's like a free mod and totally transforms the bike, then there's the exhaust and jetting, then air-cleaner/airbox mods, then maybe a 45-toother for the rear, don't forget to remove the smog crap to cool the exhaust gases for your new pipe.
I know I will man. I just want to make sure I don't hurt anything. I cant afford a new pipe but I will do some of the free mods. I don't want to make it succeptible to sucking water in though.

Quick Reply: Mods Vs. Engine Life