Modifica airbox

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Modifica airbox

I changed the filter case by removing the filter and mounted inside the collector
the klx300 without changing the original parts but creating new ones

Attached Thumbnails Modifica airbox-esternofiltro.jpg   Modifica airbox-internofiltro.jpg   Modifica airbox-ventolafiltro.jpg  
Old 02-02-2017, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

How much filtering material is there?

Old 02-03-2017, 11:11 AM
1st Gear Member

You 'a material used for the specific industrial filtration systems are the
in the link below

Materiale filtrante in fibra / di polvere / per filtro in rotolo - ACS Gesellschaft für Luft- und Entstaubungstechnik

Old 02-03-2017, 02:42 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

fantom, without that filter material being pleated/folded by design, I'll bet that's not going to flow near the same amount of air that the stock setup flows. Just curious...what was wrong with the original setup?

I can appreciate a fresh approach to any component on our motorcycles, but I'm not seeing an advantage to this setup. Maybe I'm just missing the specific method in how this works. The pics look pretty clear, but they don't always show every detail. It just looks and sounds restrictive to me. In your written description you mention KLX300, and it sounds like you mentioned changing the whole airbox...filter case...or maybe it's just a language misunderstanding.

Many of us find we need more air flow by removing/modding the airbox lid. By the pics it looks like you just made a holder to retain that filter material you linked to and then installed it where the stock airbox lid used to be. If that's the case, it strikes me that it won't flow enough air under more aggressive use. Then again, maybe I'm looking at the design all wrong.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Cool

Take that stuff off and do it proper.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
fantom, without that filter material being pleated/folded by design, I'll bet that's not going to flow near the same amount of air that the stock setup flows. Just curious...what was wrong with the original setup?

I can appreciate a fresh approach to any component on our motorcycles, but I'm not seeing an advantage to this setup. Maybe I'm just missing the specific method in how this works. The pics look pretty clear, but they don't always show every detail. It just looks and sounds restrictive to me. In your written description you mention KLX300, and it sounds like you mentioned changing the whole airbox...filter case...or maybe it's just a language misunderstanding.

Many of us find we need more air flow by removing/modding the airbox lid. By the pics it looks like you just made a holder to retain that filter material you linked to and then installed it where the stock airbox lid used to be. If that's the case, it strikes me that it won't flow enough air under more aggressive use. Then again, maybe I'm looking at the design all wrong.
My klx is 250cc
in injection series mounts a front part of the air box with a fitting
that connects to the throttle valve
very restrictive and I replaced with
Siding klx 300 that allows
a better air flow.
The upper part of the airbox replaced with a new lid in which there is a hole with a diameter of 110mm, the new filter material
It allows more air flow
the K & N filter that I rode before.

Excuse me, but my English is to Google.

Attached Thumbnails Modifica airbox-schermata-del-2017-02-03-20-33-19.png  
Old 02-03-2017, 09:49 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Ahhhh...an FI bike. Yes, I've never even seen an FI KLX in person. Am I guessing that it's something like the flapper component on top of a Yamaha WR250R dual sport or something else?

Old 02-04-2017, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I am not seeing the industrial material as being sufficient for off road use, especially with one thickness over the hole. Is that filter material used in heavy equipment that may encounter a lot of silt/dirt in the air and possibly muddy wet conditions, or is it made to use for filtering air intakes and vents on machines in plants?

One comment, did you actually calculate the open area of that cover? It has what appears to be about 50% area blockage by the center and the radial bits. You need to do some numbers to see just how big your air intake area is. Your 110 mm hole may be flowing with about half the area due to the grid cover blockage.

From my point of view, I am not a big fan of K&N filters and the gauze material for dirt/gravel road and off road use anyway. Higher flow comes from freer flow, which indicates less resistance - aka more open filter. I will give up a bit of flow for that. I am also aware that the KDX snorkel I have on the bike has the same cross sectional area as the intake manifold between the air box and the carb (in my case), which is even a bit larger than the start of the bell of the carb throat considering it has to slip over that end of the carb. So the minor bit of loss due to internal surface turbulence of the snorkel is likely to not be hindering much flow as far as the carburetor is concerned and the air filter is mostly protected from direct deluge of water/dirty water from above since the snorkel channels behind the filter.

Last edited by klx678; 02-04-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

that filter material is not good for anything other than general light air dust indoors.

it is used on air vents. air filtering for electrical cooling on machines and the like.

sandy air dust for example, will not get caught in it for long. Before slowly shaking through and getting into the engine causing bad things to happen.

but the general idea was not bad

Old 02-04-2017, 05:55 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I am not seeing the industrial material as being sufficient for off road use, especially with one thickness over the hole. Is that filter material used in heavy equipment that may encounter a lot of silt/dirt in the air and possibly muddy wet conditions, or is it made to use for filtering air intakes and vents on machines in plants?

One comment, did you actually calculate the open area of that cover? It has what appears to be about 50% area blockage by the center and the radial bits. You need to do some numbers to see just how big your air intake area is. Your 110 mm hole may be flowing with about half the area due to the grid cover blockage.

From my point of view, I am not a big fan of K&N filters and the gauze material for dirt/gravel road and off road use anyway. Higher flow comes from freer flow, which indicates less resistance - aka more open filter. I will give up a bit of flow for that. I am also aware that the KDX snorkel I have on the bike has the same cross sectional area as the intake manifold between the air box and the carb (in my case), which is even a bit larger than the start of the bell of the carb throat considering it has to slip over that end of the carb. So the minor bit of loss due to internal surface turbulence of the snorkel is likely to not be hindering much flow as far as the carburetor is concerned and the air filter is mostly protected from direct deluge of water/dirty water from above since the snorkel channels behind the filter.
Mark, my logic side of my brain tells me the same thing about K&N filters for off road. However, I had several XR's that I raced enduros on back in the 80's. I started running a K&N on my first XR and was actually a little surprised how well it worked out. I didn't get a lot of "pass-through" dirt particles or accelerated engine wear like I thought I'd get. From my observation the K&N doesn't get its superior flow due to just letting more particles through compared to equally sized foam filters. It's the accordion folds that allow more effective air intake space that makes them work.

They don't do as well in deep water as a quality foam filter that is treated with good, water-shedding, foam oil, but other than that they don't offer the filtration downside that many perceive. I see arguments all over the board on the K&N vs foam, and personally my experience tells me it's a little overblown. That said, my KLX came with 3 quality aftermarket foam filters supplied by the original owner, and only one of them has died due to use. I'm not that cheap, but it's hard to just stop using them, as there is little to no downside.

Oh, I also modded my 4 KLR600/650's airboxes to allow a sufficiently large K&N filter to be installed. I never encountered any issues with them either. I'm not a "K&N is the holy grail" guy, but I think they might get an overly bad rap for off road use.

Quick Reply: Modifica airbox